Hyper-V Migration Questions. Windows 2008 R2 >> Windows 2012 R2

Iron Contributor

Hey Guys, 

Reviewing some documentation here on Hyper-V Migration from a domain joined server to another domain joined server (2008 R2 to 2012 R2). Non-Clustered, No Failover Cluster Manager, Non SCVMM.

Using this documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-R2-and-2012/dn...)

Under:  Overview of migration process for this role 

It says:  "Exporting a virtual machine from Windows Server 2008 R2 and importing it on a server running Windows Server 2012 R2 is not supported."

So i took that to mean you cannot Right Click on the VM choose export then go to a 2012 R2 Hyper-V box and import the exported machine? 

However Under: "Manually copy virtual hard disks and virtual machine configuration files" last set of instructions it says to copy over the VM and all config files to the destination server and then import them that way? 

I don't get it? So can you export (from 2008 R2) and then import a VM to (2012 R2) ? and Whats the real difference between exporting a VM and/or copying it over from the source server then importing it that way? 

Can anyone help clear up my confusion? 

Thanks, 

Robert

1 Reply

Nothing really different as far as I know. Maybe the end result of the file / folders structure / locations of one method vs the other. You can try the former but time-wise its probably just faster to copy over the files and do the import.