Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 03:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Hyper-V guest Backup in VSS

Copper Contributor

Hi folks

Backing up a VMGuest a Windows 2016 server (latest greatest) by using the VSS function. I use a 3rd part product called Veritas Netbackup, spoken to them they are clear that this is not a netbackup problem but a Microsoft problem. 

OK So I have one Winserver guest 2016 that backups fine (on a hyper-v 2012r2 cluster) and I have another that I need to do "off-host" backup which will give me the "freeze" saved state enviroment. Those server are similar to each other, disk/firewall/tools/ and so on .. but the main diffrence is that one is in the DMZ. When backing the host in "hot state" it gives me an error: 

"2017-maj-29 11:18:37 - Critical bpbrm (pid=7792) from client bkbupdmz01: FTL - vfm_freeze_commit: method: Hyper-V_v2, type: FIM, function: Hyper-V_v2_prepare
2017-maj-29 11:18:37 - Critical bpbrm (pid=7792) from client bkbupdmz01: FTL - snapshot services: snapshot preparation failed: provider-private error.
2017-maj-29 11:18:37 - Critical bpbrm (pid=7792) from client bkbupdmz01: FTL - vfm_freeze_commit: method: Hyper-V_v2, type: FIM, function: Hyper-V_v2_prepare
2017-maj-29 11:18:37 - Critical bpbrm (pid=7792) from client bkbupdmz01: FTL - snapshot services: snapshot preparation failed: provider-private error.
2017-maj-29 11:18:37 - Critical bpbrm (pid=7792) from client bkbupdmz01: FTL - snapshot processing failed, status 4201
2017-maj-29 11:18:37 - Critical bpbrm (pid=7792) from client bkbupdmz01: FTL - snapshot creation failed, status 4201

- This error comes from netbackup-veritas. 

Any one have a clue?

regards Pontus Ankarbåge

8 Replies

Hi Pontus,

What happens if you try to make a production checkpoint from the Hyper-V Manager? Check settings on the VM what kind of checkpoint is made.

Do you get an error when creating the checkpoint?

Regards,

Erwin

Hi there mr Ervin Van Dijik

Thanx for answer.

I have made the checkpoint from the hyper-v-manager. The checkpoints was created fine..

But it was a less than 10sek frezze of the VM, when it were creating the checkpoint. And i saw the % build of the checkpoint. It release the freeze mode around 85% done of the checkpoint. 

I couldnt see any error creating the checkpoint. 

How can i see "what kind of checkpoint is made"? in hyper-v Manager?

regards Pontus 

Hi Puntos,

You can check it in the Hyper-V manager, go to the settings of the VM and go to Management - Checkpoints. Check also under Management the Integration Services, is the option Backup (volume shadow copy) checked? If this is checked (the default) then the VM is using VSS to create a checkpoint. If you want a "freeze" of the VM (paused state) then you must uncheck it. But personally, I think it’s better to use the VSS option.

Regard,

Erwin

Hi Erwin,

Thx for the quick reply ;). The option "backup" under vss is checked.. read about a bug that it could be unchecked and checked again for it to take. (tried that) It freeze the machine so I dont think it useses the Backupoption even if its checked. Thx for the guidance. 

backup2016.PNG

Hi Puntos,

Did you restart the Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor (vmicvss) after the turn off/on off Backup?

You can check the Application eventlog for the Task Category ShadowCopy events 2001, 2003 and 2006, or maybe you see errors there?

A test to be sure if VSS is the one who stops your backup from working is the following:

• Stop the Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor (vmicvss) service on the VM
  • Create a backup

Be aware that this procedure will pause your VM during the backup! So don’t do this in production time!

Hope this helps you further, if VSS is working I would suggest to consult with your backup vendor again.

Regard,

Erwin

Hi there again,

The backup still freeze when i shut down the vmicvss.. In the log of the vmhost where the guest is. I got following error (4000) Failed to connect to virtual machine 'bkbupdmz01' because there is no mutually supported protocol for VM: (Virtual machine ID 223A61EB-75E9-4494-AE75-36978840CC40). Framework version: Negotiated (0.0) - Expected (3.0); Message version: Negotiated (0.0) - Expected (4.0)."

Is there anything that need to be open on the network for this to be working?

Regards Pontus Ankarbåge

Hi Pontus,

Looks like a problem with the Integration tools, is the VM using the latest updates?

Don't no how to reinstall them using Server 2016, this is changed from the Server 2012 R2 procedure.

Regards,

Erwin

I have a similar problem with Snapshot backups but with Netapp software.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V cluster with SMB 3.0 connection for storing VMs on Netapp SAN. All my VMs with WS2008R2, WS2012, WS2012R2 works great with the snapshots but with WS2016 there is a freeze for a short period so applications like NAV and TFS become unresponsive. To avoid problems I have had to move the snapshots to be taken outside of working hours but then the whole point of having snapshots is lost...

Lets hope that it is in the Integration tools and that it will be solved soon.