SOLVED

How to add a new DC in an existing domain when there is no Windows DNS Server?

Brass Contributor

Hi,

We have an AD Domain Controller which uses a linux-based DNS servers.

We now need to add a new DC in this existing domain.

The problem is when I try to add this new DC I have the following message: "An Active Directory domain controller for the domain "xxx" could not be contacted.

As DNS servers, I used the linux DNS (just like the first DC).

The existing DC does not have the DNS service installed.

For what I know, a DNS service is required on a DC to allow the domain to be joined.

Can you please help on this?

Thanks.

11 Replies

Hello @Dave Patrick and thanks for commenting here.

I've read the article and I should mention that they don't want to install the DNS role on any DCs. 

They just don't want to deal with multiple types of DNS servers.

The article explains how we can integrate the Windows DNS into an existing BIND system. What I'm looking for is how to add a new domain controller in an existing domain where the DNS is a BIND one (and no Windows DNS exists).

Do you suggest that a Windows DNS server is mandatory to add a new DC in an existing domain?

That is my understanding (from my experience but I never had to deal with other DNS systems).

Thanks.

Dominique 

Do you suggest that a Windows DNS server is mandatory to add a new DC in an existing domain?

Not mandatory, but recommended and in most cases a much simpler solution.

Agreed. Now, do you have any other tips for me regarding adding a DC with no MS DNS system?
As explained, the current DC does not hold the DNS role and the policy is to not install it at any point in time. I'm stuck with the BIND DNS.
Thank you. :)
Hello Dave,
As told earlier, I don't want to migrate the DNS server because I won't be able to (te policy of the company is to keep the BIND DNS only).
I'm looking a way to add a new DC in an existing domain when this domain is registered in a BIND DNS and no DNS role exists in the Windows environment.
What we already did is open the firewall ports to allow the traffic between both servers.
Thank you and Thanks to everyone who can help with that.
No, you don't need to use Microsoft DNS for ADDS (though I would highly recommend it).
You can use BIND or another third-party DNS-Service for ADDS, as long as it supports the needed entry types (SRV for example).
You can read more about it here:
https://www.techopedia.com/2/31981/networking/networking-hardware/dismissing-the-myth-that-active-di...

This should put you on the right track.
Personally, if you really want to do this, I would first check that the current BIND-Zone for ADDS really contains all needed entries (and they are correct), and then try to configure dynamic DNS-Updates for your BIND-Servers.
If you can't configure dynamic DNS-Updates for your BIND, you have to create all needed DNS-entries manually.
That said, you will still have problems integrating other software which relies heavily on ADDS (for example Exchange Server), and should migrate to a Microsoft DNS solution as soon as you can.
Thank you for answering. I think I was not specific enough:
- We have a domain (that we will call domainA.net)
- We have a domain controller running Windows Server 2019 hosting this domain
- This domain controller DOES NOT hold the DNS role
- The DNS system used to create this domain is a BIND DNS
- the domain is registered to the BIND DNS system
- I need to add a new domain controller to the domainA.net domain

This is where it gets tricky:
- this new DC MUST NOT hold a DNS role
- when I try to add this new DC to the domainA.net domain, it fails because of the following error: "An Active Directory domain controller for the "domainA.net" domain could not be contacted.

A nslookup command finds my domain. I can also ping it successfully.

Any other idea?

thank you for reading and helping.
Dominique
best response confirmed by DomAnnicette (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You should be able to simply add the windows domain controller without integrated DNS role.

Using Linux BIND DNS Servers for Active Directory Domains - Serverlab

Thank you. This made me understand where the error could be.
We found out that the first DC was not properly registered to the DNS.
It's fixed now.
Thank you all for your help and patience!
Regards,
Dominqiue

Glad to hear of success, you're welcome.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DomAnnicette (Brass Contributor)
Solution

You should be able to simply add the windows domain controller without integrated DNS role.

Using Linux BIND DNS Servers for Active Directory Domains - Serverlab

View solution in original post