GPO desktop shortcuts not showing

Steel Contributor

I have setup a GPO for desktop shortcuts. I have applied the GPO under Computer Configuration and linked it to my Terminal Servers. I am using a TEST security group, however the shortcuts do not show up. What am I missing? Thank you.

gpo.png

5 Replies

@Tim Hunter 

Two things spring to mind - one, do you have a loopback policy set?

Also what happens if you set the policy on the User Configuration and add a test user to your security group?

@PaulaSillars 

Not sure what you mean by a loopback policy?

I did get the shortcuts to work by setting the GPO up under User Configuration and then linking to User OU. I also used Item-Level Targeting for the specific server I want this GPO to work on for the user. Does this sound like a good method?

@Tim Hunter 

Your solution will work but if you want to go back to the original scenario, to a computer policy when a user logs on, you need a loopback policy.  

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2013/02/08/circle-back-to-loopback/

Computer policy doesn't require loopback. @PaulaSillars 

This is a computer policy (not user), and you are trying to put the shortcut in a user's Desktop. That won't work, there is no user. Either change the shortcut to go to the common desktop directory, or else change this to a user policy (within User Configuration in your screenshot) AND then either link to the user OU, or leave linked to the Terminal Servers OU and turn on loopback processing.