SOLVED

FRS to DFS Replication migration

Copper Contributor

I am currently running on Windows 2008 R2 DCs (2 DCs) and Domain\Functional Level 2003. I am planning to move to promote 4 Windows 2016 (version 1607) DCs and Demote the Win 2008 R2 ones and upgrade the functional level to Windows 2008 R2.

Option Plan 1:

1- Upgrade domain and functional levels to 2008 R2

2-  Install Windows 2016 DCs

3- Demote Windows 2008 R2 DCs

4- Move SYSVOL from FRS to DFS

Option Plan 2:

1- Upgrade domain and functional levels to 2008 R2

2- Move SYSVOL from FRS to DFS

3-  Install Windows 2016 DCs

4- Demote Windows 2008 R2 DCs

Which option would be most preferred and why ?

3 Replies

@KYoussef_Consultant You can do it either way. Server 2016 still supports FRS (but Server 2019 does not) Either case before starting I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health is 100% before starting.

To do the FRS to DFSR migration you can follow along here.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2014/06/25/streamlined-migration-of-frs-to-dfsr-sysvol/

To do the domain controller upgrades I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then I'd stand up the new 2016, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one, and move on to next one.

best response confirmed by KYoussef_Consultant (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Dave Patrick thanks for the update

You're welcome, glad to help. Seems you may have marked the wrong response?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KYoussef_Consultant (Copper Contributor)
Solution