Fresh install of Server 2016 Standard - Core - No eventvwr.msc in system32

Copper Contributor

Sorry if this is a basic question. I have installed Windows Server Core 2016 Standard on a hyper-v cluster, provisioned with 4 V-CPU and 4096 mem. (ISO SW_DVD9_Win_Server_STD_CORE_2016_64Bit_English_-4_DC_STD_MLF_X21-70526)

Booted up and joined the device to the domain using SCONFIG.

Then used Install-ADDSDomainController -domainname "contoso" -InstallDNS:$True -credentials (get-credentials)

Following a reboot the domain services appear to be working. I can connect to the DC remote using DSA.msc. However, if I run dsa.msc on the server I get "Class not registered" - "Access Denied" error. I can't open services.msc, it just does nothing, no error, the command is accepted but nothing happens. 

The icing on the cake is when I tried to open eventvwr to see what was happening. There is no eventvwr.msc in system32. (C:\Windows\System32>eventvwr.msc'eventvwr.msc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.)

I have run SFC /scannow and no validation errors were found. I also tried chkdsk /f /r and the repair was performed. I also ran DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth which showed no corruption detected. 

I know the obvious solution here is to rebuild but I am curious as to what I did wrong to cause such a mess of an installation so I can avoid in future. 

0 Replies