DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer

Copper Contributor

i ran dcdiag  on all my for dc 2,3,4,5

dc2 = windows 2016

dc3 = windows 2012

dc4 = windows 2012

dc5 = windows 2016

I get the following error

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer 1.1.1.1 using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID 19f8 (C:\Windows\system32\dcdiag.exe).

An error event occurred. EventID: 0x0000272C

Time Generated: 10/08/2020 11:20:39

Event String:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer 10.10.0.1 using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID 19f8 (C:\Windows\system32\dcdiag.exe).

Time Generated: 10/08/2020 11:21:57

Also, note that 10.10.0.1 IP does not exist and its not configured in nic or forwards 

Please assist

14 Replies

requested by PID 19f8

What process is it?

@Dave Patrick Sorry do not know what you mean  this is log during a dcdiag

Task Manager\Processes here you can see the process name / PID in question. (6648)

@Dave Patrick it is dcomlaunch pid 896

Strange, the PID does not match with dcdiag output?

@Dave Patrick something strange is going on now its shows different pid and there no dcom in task 

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer 1.1.1.1 using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID 1460 (C:\Windows\system32\dcdiag.exe).
Time Generated: 10/08/2020 13:56:08
Event String:
DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer 206.223.173.5 using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID 11b8 (C:\Windows\system32\dcdiag.exe).

@Dave Patrick however when I run this funcation  it does not occur in  my dc4 or dc3 only dc5

If a single DC appears to be problematic it may be configuration and or some corruption. Might try standing up a new one as a test.

@Dave Patrick \ is anyway to fix this it seems little bit overkill to setup another dc

Please run;

- Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:%computername% >c:\dcdiag.log
- repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
- ipconfig /all > C:\dc1.txt
- ipconfig /all > C:\dc2.txt
- (etc. as other DC's exist)

then put **unzipped** text files up on OneDrive and share a link.

- Each domain controller should also have its own static ip address listed for DNS on connection properties.
- It looks like all of the "DCOM was unable to communicate" were caused by dcdiag.exe itself so you can safely ignore it.

- I'd check that windows is patched to the latest cumulative update.
- DC05 appears to be having some replication problems, you might try demote, reboot, promo it again (of course after roles transfer)
- As to the ncap adapter you may want to ask the vendor about configuration on a domain controller

I've seen this a bit late but if you're still having trouble, it could be that the computer that no longer exists had an enterprise Certificate Authority on it. If this is the case, try https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/troubleshoot/windows-server/identity/delete-enterprise-windows-cer...