Black screen and file explorer on roaming profiles

Copper Contributor

Hi!

There was a problem with a message that the mobile profile limit had been exceeded, so I changed the limit in GPO from 30MB to 2GB (maybe a bit too much xd). I don't have much experience with roaming profiles. I would like to leave form roaming profiles, but actions are needed. After this change, users have a black screen after logging in, only file explorer opens automatically. Plus, the user logs in for a long time, but that's normal because he's loading his own files.

What will you benefit? (apart from switching from these mobile profiles to something else...)

AD: Windows Server 2016 Hosts: Win10/11

4 Replies

Hi @sphtd7,

Apart from switching from roaming profiles to something else, here are some benefits of fixing the black screen and file explorer issue:

• Improved user experience: Users will be able to log in to their computers and start using them immediately, without having to wait for their roaming profiles to load. This will also eliminate the black screen issue.
  • Reduced network traffic: Roaming profiles can generate a significant amount of network traffic, especially when users have large profiles. Fixing the black screen and file explorer issue will reduce this traffic, improving network performance for all users.
  • Improved security: Roaming profiles can be a security risk if they are not properly configured. For example, if a user's roaming profile is compromised, an attacker could gain access to the user's data on other computers in the network. Fixing the black screen and file explorer issue will make your network more secure.

Here are some steps you can take to fix the black screen and file explorer issue:

1. Verify that the roaming profile limit is set correctly. The default limit is 30MB, but you can increase it if necessary. However, it is important to note that increasing the limit can lead to performance problems and security risks.
  2. Make sure that the roaming profile server is accessible. If the server is unavailable, users will not be able to load their profiles and will see a black screen.
  3. Check the event logs for errors related to roaming profiles. This information can help you troubleshoot the problem.
  4. Try restarting the roaming profile service. This can sometimes fix minor problems.
  5. If you are still having problems, you may need to delete the user's roaming profile. This will reset the profile and allow the user to log in again.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

@LeonPavesic 

After increasing the limit, users cannot log in, they have a black screen and explorer.exe does not work, you have to run it from the task manager, users log in after 15-20 minutes. This all happened after the limit was increased.

There are over 30 profiles, so it is possible that all of them suddenly broke?

Nothing like this is visible in the event viewer.

Try restarting the roaming profile service.? How can I do this?

Hi @sphtd7,

thanks for the update.

To restart the roaming profile service in Windows Server 2016, you can use the following steps:

1. Open Server Manager.
  2. In the Tools menu, click Services.
  3. In the list of services, find and right-click the User Profile Service.
  4. Click Restart.

LeonPavesic_0-1696399807521.png

LeonPavesic_1-1696399825589.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Unfortunately it didn't help, but I have another step. I previously changed it in GPO in the limit on Windows 10 computers, and Windows 7 works fine (where I did not change the policy).

Even though I restored it as it was, it is still a problem (limited on Windows 10)

The worst thing is that it happens to all users and I don't know what to do.