SOLVED

Adding License to Existing KMS Host

Brass Contributor

Happy New Year everyone!

I have an existing Windows Server 2012 R2 configured as a KMS Host server currently activating Office 2010 installations.  When I configured the KMS Host I used an Office 2010 KMS Host key and activated the server with that key.  Now I would like to add the ability to activate Windows 7 client computers using the existing KMS Host server. 

Do I add a KMS Host key for Windows Server 2012 R2?

Is it correct that the key is added using the Volume Activation Services applet installed on the KMS Host server?

Will this modification of the existing KMS Host now activate both client and server machines?

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

4 Replies

You should use Volume Activation Tools as your solution.

Thanks Denis, that was where I was headed.  I get to Product Key Management which gives me the option to "Install your KMS host key" where I believe I insert the Windows Srv 2012R2 DataCtr/Std KMS for Windows 10 KMS host key.  This replaces the Office 2010 host key or adds it to the existing configuration?

best response confirmed by Mitch Sprague (Brass Contributor)
Solution

The key is added, but not overwritten —  in the utility you have to choose which OS you want to activate.

But in case of a problem, you can reactivate KMS for Office 2010.

Thanks Denis, that's what I was hoping was the case. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mitch Sprague (Brass Contributor)
Solution

The key is added, but not overwritten —  in the utility you have to choose which OS you want to activate.

But in case of a problem, you can reactivate KMS for Office 2010.

View solution in original post