Active Directory Migration

Copper Contributor

Hi Team,

Am new to AD and checking if below is possible.

I already have a DC lab in which AD/DNS/ADCS are installed and configured (Virtual Box). Now would like to move entire ENV to new laptop. Can someone help me on this.

1. Install new WINDOWS Server 2016

2. Promote to DC with same domain name as of my old DC.

3. .......from this point on what will be the steps to move AD actual data to new server?

7. for moving GPO, found backup and restore commands. which I can use to move GPO.

Note: I am aware that we can clone VM and move to new laptop. which I don't want to do as, am trying to do/learn actual AD migration.

Regards,

Gowtham.

2 Replies

@AGR31 

Hello! You've posted your question in the Tech Community Discussion space, which is intended for discussion around the Tech Community website itself, not product questions. I'm moving your question to the Windows Server space- please post Windows Server questions here in the future. 

have a DC lab in which AD/DNS/ADCS are installed and configured (Virtual Box). Now would like to move entire ENV to new laptop. .

You may be able to install virtualbox on the new laptop and move the VHD over to it, but this is a question better directed to virtualbox experts here in dedicated forums.

virtualbox.org • forums

or look for a V2V tool if you're switching hypervisors.