Windows Server Summit 2024
Mar 26 2024 08:00 AM - Mar 28 2024 04:30 PM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
LIVE

Activationg Trial Version of Server 2019

Copper Contributor

Hi Friends:

Downloaded a 180 trial Server 2019 standard which I used to create a VM. We purchased a Dell Server with Server 2019 Standard. I understand that I can use the Dell Server Product Key to also Activate the Trial Version of Server 2019 VM. 

Some how when I Click on Change Product Key nothing sees to happen I don't get the window where I can enter the product key!

Any thoughts please as to what I am doing wrong!

Thanks

Mohindar Malhotra

6 Replies

Also try;

slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

slmgr /ato

To change the eval version of Server 2019 to a retail version you have to use dism.

Use the following steps in and administrative command prompt:

1. slmgr /upk
  2. slmgr /cpky
  3. dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey:<YOUR-RETAIL-KEY-GOES-HERE>
  4. reboot
  5. slmgr /ipk <PRODUCT-KEY-GOES-HERE>
  6. wait a minute
  7. slmgr /ato

This will uninstall the current eval key (step 1. and 2.), change the edition to the non-eval version (step 3. and 4.), install the new product key (step 5. and 6.) and activate windows (step 7.).

@Mohindar_Malhotra 

@dretzer 

Hi Thanks. Need clarification on the following: 

I have only one Key that is the Main server (Dell Server) Product key. That is the prod key I would like to use for the Server 2019 in VM (for the current Trial Server 2019). What do the Keys in step 3 and 5 refer to?

---

3.      dism /online /set-edition:ServerStandard /accepteula /productkey:<YOUR-RETAIL-KEY-GOES-HERE>

5. slmgr /ipk <PRODUCT-KEY-GOES-HERE>

-----

Thanks again for your help and time!

Mohindar

The much simpler method is from an elevated cmd.exe session;

slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

slmgr /ato

using the same product key used on host.

You cannot use slmgr to install a retail or VLSC product key on an evaluation edition. You will get an error if you try to do this:

Error:0xC004F069 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition….

The only supported way to change an eval edition to a full edition is with dism and a retail product key (the one from your host). If you try to use the dism method with a VLSC key you will get another error:

Error 1168 the specified product key could not be validated.

So to upgrade and activate Windows Server 2016 or 2019 Evaluation, you have to use dism and have a retail product key.

@mohindar_malhotra50 

@Dave Patrick

@dretzer wrote:

You cannot use slmgr to install a retail or VLSC product key on an evaluation edition. You will get an error if you try to do this:

Error:0xC004F069 On a computer running Microsoft Windows non-core edition….

The only supported way to change an eval edition to a full edition is with dism and a retail product key (the one from your host). If you try to use the dism method with a VLSC key you will get another error:

Error 1168 the specified product key could not be validated.

So to upgrade and activate Windows Server 2016 or 2019 Evaluation, you have to use dism and have a retail product key.

@mohindar_malhotra50 

@Dave Patrick

The OP is not using a volume product key. According to what's posted the key comes from OEM provider (Dell)