Windows 10 Update GPO Confusion

Copper Contributor

I am configuring a new Windows 10 update scheme using Group Policy.

I won't post all of the details about how I have it configured, but I am running into a conflict in the descriptions of two GPO settings:

No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations - Disabled.

Always automatically restart at the scheduled time - Enabled - 180 Minutes.

The 'No auto-restart' GPO description suggests that when a Windows Update is installed (scheduled for 4PM, daily), the user will be given 5 minutes' warning and then will be forced to reboot.

However, I configured the 'Always automatically restart' GPO for 180 minutes.

Which is it?  Will the computer reboot in 5 minutes, or 180 minutes?  They seem to conflict to me.  I don't want the user booted after 5 minutes.  But I can't seem to figure out the resulting action with these two GPO set.  I performed a lot of research.

Thanks for your help, Phil.

1 Reply

Hi @PhilM1435

When looking at the policy setting descriptions and the docs.microsoft page for Managed device restarts after updates, we can determine that the "default behavior" would be a warning and reboot in 5 minutes if you have "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations" set to Not Configured or Disabled.

Configuring the "Always automatically restart at the scheduled time" would then alter the "default behavior" to whatever value you set.

So theoretically the outcome would be a countdown to 180 minutes and then restart.

But as always be sure to test it out in a test environment or on a limited subject :)