Risk of system getting hacked through the internet or Wi-fi?

Brass Contributor

Dear everyone

I am not a high profile person or anything like that. I just dislike the idea, that someone with bad intentions could access my personal files, documents, photos etc. (personal diary, baby pictures of my children etc.)

I am not worried about anyone getting a look at my internet traffic / man-in-the-middle attack etc. I am only concerned about, that someone with bad intentions being able to access my personal files.

I assume, that it is not impossible to “hack” my system and get access to my files, but “how hard” would it be for someone commited to the task?

Is the only way to access my files, if they planted malware on my system?

Or if they accessed screen share?

My questions concerns both:

If the person accessed / hacked my wi-fi / home network

Or

Only through the internet

Settings:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Windows login password protected

Windows Defender firewall

No file or folder sharing enabled

Network discovery is turned off

File and printer sharing is turned off

AVG registers threats in real-time

All software drivers etc. fully updated

Wi-fi is password protected

Network / Wi-fi profile: Private

Router security WPA2-Personal

I become uneasy, when I read posts like this, which makes it sound “easy”:

https://www.quora.com/Can-a-hacker-control-my-computer-through-Wi-Fi-connection-only/answer/Aaron-Sh...

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-hack-a-computer-on-same-network/answer/Har**bleep**-Dangwal

Please let me know, if I shall add more info concerning the above.

Thanks in advance for replying

Best regards

13 Replies
it depends the software what you used...
1.keeping the firewall running,
2.close the software's upload function
3.make sure the softwares you need are download from offical website or application store
4.I used 360 Antivirus software,you can try it,it has a function named Network traffic monitoring.
by the way,keep hotfix has been upgraded

@emil frederiksen 

Thank you for your question and this is a valid concern not only for you but with everyone who is using any device connected to the internet. We couldn't setup a system and make it impossible to hack but we could make it very hard and expensive to hack , so the hacker would look for other target and normally hackers would go for easier target unless you have some special or sensitive data which is not your case.

First you need to secure your Wi-Fi, you should setup strong Wi-Fi password which you did and also place Wi-Fi in a location which is accessible with your family members and devices and less access with outsiders and neighbors, somewhere in the middle of house would be nice. You may also use a feature called MAC filtering, every device would have a MAC Address and you could setup it to only permit your devices to access the Wi-Fi and block other devices which are not listed and you may regularly check list of connected devices and in case you see any unknown devices, then investigate and if you believe it is a hacker, then block it and change your Wi-Fi password. All these settings are in your Wi-Fi router and may refer to its manual for additional protections.

However, as for Windows , it is important to make sure update your Windows, Anti-Malware product and all of your applications regularly and NEVER download anything from untrusted sources and never open suspicious files and emails and NEVER click on untrusted links. Hackers might use several methods to get into your system and let say if your system is not update, they only scan and find a vulnerable system and try to hack into it. If it is NOT possible, they will try to send you a malicious link , file , application or they might share it somewhere and you download it. These are basic tips and easy to implement but they provide you with a great security advantage. 

Is there a method / log system, where I can if any alien devices has connected to my network?

If a hacker should get access to personal files through the internet, are these the only ways:
"they will try to send you a malicious link , file , application or they might share it somewhere and you download it" ?

In case you are referring the Wi-Fi network or router, you need to refer to the manual for your Wi-Fi router because it depends on the manufacturer.
You may also check the Event Viewer in Windows and also try open Resource Monitor to observe logs and activities in your Windows. These would need some advance knowledge but in the Resource Monitor you may check the network tab and see if there is any suspicious application or connection.

Methods I shared are the most common ways but like I said, in case you won't update your Windows or turn off your Firewall, they will be able to gain access even if you are connected to the internet.

Regarding the Event Viewer - what shall I look for, if I want to fint out, "hacker" has gotten access to my system?

I have used Resource Monitor alot. I have used it at it a couple of minutes, each week (this was for another topic). Here I have noted network activity and network processes. I have researched / clarified all the ID's i have seen, and none of them were "alien" or critical.
Resource Monitor will display in real-time.
Event Viewer would need some expertise and skills and you have to go through log files and know how to investigate it.
However, the most easier way would be performing a full scan with updated Anti-Malware program , because if anyone wants to access to your PC, normally they will place a Hacking tools or Trojans which are being detected by Anti-Malware product.
Hi! The easiest way to take over your computer is to gain the trust of device owners = you will consent to access in a way that is not aware of what you are doing! It's the daily struggle with elections that really decides! Any OK :ok_button: maybe after 2 clicks can cause unauthorised access = being on the Net, but I think you have nothing to worry about private computers not interested in hackers, more malware - can cause data loss and it is very possible . Just copy on external media, or OneDrive, loo not store sensitive data on your PC and sleep peacefully without worries! Just copy on external media, or OneDrive, loo not store sensitive data on your PC and sleep peacefully without worries! Thank you very much!
I will try to research Event Viewer further.

I often scan my system, and I never have any malware etc.
Do you mean, that someone could place a button on their website, that I somehow clicked by mistake, so I would grand them access to my PC?

Or could you please try to elaborate.

Thank you!

Witam To jest dokładnie tak, jak to się robi! Skanowanie nie zrobi nic w tym przypadku, ponieważ sam dał pozwolenie na działanie na urządzeniu! ale nie powinieneś mieć obsesji na jego punkcie! To programy antywirusowe tworzą taką atmosferę, aby udowodnić, że pomogły ci tak bardzo i dobrze, że jest to ich produkt wybrałeś = marketing! normalne korzystanie z komputera jest naprawdę bezpieczne! Powodzenia!

Hi This is exactly how it does it! The scan will do nothing in this case, because he himself gave himself permission to allow the device! but you shouldn't be obsessed with it! For antivirus programs create such an atmosphere to prove that so much and well that it is up to their product you have chosen = marketing! normal use of the computer is really safe! Good luck!

Could you please try to reply in english?

It tried translating it from Polish to English, and I was not quite sure about the meaning.
Excuse me! I forgot to translate . Hi This is exactly how it is done! The scan will not do anything in this case, because he himself gave permission to operate on the device! but you shouldn't be obsessed with it! It is antivirus programs create such an atmosphere to prove that they have helped you so much and well that this is their product you have chosen = marketing! normal use of the computer is really safe! Good luck! Addsm yet that the same interest in security will help everyone on this Forum MTC thank you for the topic! Andrzej