Reset My Computer And Lost Access to Windows

Copper Contributor

So i recently pulled my old computer out of storage. It hadn't been used since 2017. 

I decided to do a hard reset, and fully wipe the thing to be able to get a fresh start now that i'm older. (And it ran really slow)

I did have issues, I ran into the 'Insert Media' thing, and had to install windows to my usb to fix the problem. I was able to fix it and reset the computer properly.

Now comes the newest problem. 

Now it's telling me I need to activate Windows.

I don't have a product key anymore apparently and i'm not sure what to do. I signed in to microsoft using the same email that i originally used, and windows was working this morning before the reset. 

It has 8.1 installed on it currently. I could really use some help, as I can't really afford to buy a new product key right now. (And I don't really think I should have to?)

16 Replies
Thanks for sharing KryptRaven!

Wondering if the computer was on Windows 10 or 8.1 before reset?

Wondering if it is Windows 10 Home or Pro or 8.1 or 8.1 Pro?

What are the specs, if it is very old, Windows 10 will run very slow though there are alternative OS's could use but not allowed to disclose them here.

@Deleted 

it had 8.1 before the reset.

And im not sure on the specs, id have to look it up (im a boomer when it comes to tech) but it was a pretty nice gaming computer when i got it.

If i cant solve this i may start looking into a different OS

I see, thanks for the quick reply!

Going to the start menu, search or find the "Settings" app and fiddle around until thee find the "About PC" session and take a screenshot/phone capture!

Thanks,

Shawn
I cant get a good image of it, so ill type it out here:

Product ID: 00259-30000-00001-AAOEM
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system, 64x-based processor
Does it show Windows is Activated?
no, it says windows needs to be activated
Which Windows 8.1 did install? 8.1 or 8.1 Pro?
Did thee try the update troubleshooter? There is a option to phone activate, oh and I almost forgot, is the interent connected?
its 8.1 Single Language. And yes, ive tried the update trouble shoot on the browser. Internet through ethernet cable. And it doesnt give me any options for phone activation. It didnt give me the option for a KMS key either.
Single Language? Was it that before the reset?
What mean by "browser"
Im pretty ure it was but not 100%. Thats what i had to download to my usb to fix the missing media problem.
Following that, im not given the option to contact support through my PC.
To get your Windows OEM key using the Command Prompt, you need to12345:
Open the Command Prompt as administrator.
Type "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" and hit Enter.
Your Windows product key will show up.
Or download "Show Key Plus" and it will show what is the OEM Edition of Windows. So we will know which Home or Pro thy Windows 8.1 License is for.