Is my Windows user password protected, and what does it protect against?

Brass Contributor

Hello everyone

I can't figure out, if my Windows user is really password protected

I am using Microsoft Windows 10 Home
I have only 1 local user / admin

If I shutdown PC, and turn on again, I don't have to enter password
If I restart PC, I don't have to enter password

If I Windows key + L / log off, I see my Windows user and have to enter password

In Optins - Setting for logon - Password
When I press change, it shows my user profile and asks for Current password

1)
Is my Windows user password protected?
2)
Having a password protected Windows user, does is protect against other devices / hackers on the network from getting access to my system / files?
3)
Having a password protected Windows user, does is protect against other devices / hackers through the internet from getting access to my system / files?

Thanks in advance for replying

Best regards

11 Replies
Are you using Microsoft Account or Local Account?
You mentioned, Windows is not asking for password, is it during Windows Update or all the time?
The password protected device normally protects you against physical access like someone is planning to use your PC. In term of hacking over network, it is different story and if they find a way to access to your PC having password or without password won't be much difference but it also depends on the attack itself.
I am using Local Account

Windows is not asking for my local user password when:
Turn on PC
Restart

Windows asks for my user password when:
I log off / Windows key + L
Want to change my password in account settings

"n term of hacking over network, it is different story and if they find a way to access to your PC having password or without password won't be much difference but it also depends on the attack itself."
Wont it be like another layer of security?

Open start and search for cmd or Command prompt and open it and then type the following command:

control userpasswords2

and press enter and it should open User Accounts and in the Users tab you shall see an option Users must enter a username and password to use this computer and you have to check this box.

Regarding to the hacking issue, when you are using Windows and you already login as administrator, attackers could take over your system and use certain tools to capture your password or keep themselves login.

The box is checked / enabled. Does that mean, that my Windows is password protected?

"Regarding to the hacking issue, when you are using Windows and you already login as administrator, attackers could take over your system and use certain tools to capture your password or keep themselves login."
So if someone on the same network, would try to hack / get access to my system, would they have to enter my Windows user password?
And what about over the internet?

Try uncheck it and restart your PC and then login and recheck it and see if the problem persist?

Try open Settings and navigate to Accounts->Sign-in options and you should see an option called Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart and try to turn it off and see if the problem persist?

They are different ways to do it by normally they could do it without entering password or bypass it. Blocking hackers over network is not using password but it is the Firewall , Anti-Malware and other Windows protection features.

"They are different ways to do it by normally they could do it without entering password or bypass it. Blocking hackers over network is not using password but it is the Firewall , Anti-Malware and other Windows protection features."
I just wanted to know, if Windows user password added another layer of security, if someone wanted to get access to my system via the Network or Internet
Not necessary, in many cases having password won't provide additional protection but it depends on the type of attack. For example, if they could exploit a 0-day remote access, they could access to your system whether you have password or not.
Hi Reza_Ameri not exaggerate is not so easy to take over the computer to who would want to attack an ordinary user! If it has security up-to-date then really this discussion about hacking does not make sense! creating such an atmosphere is not needed! Microsoft Defender is a great security + Defender platform that works in real time, works reliably! This man is the easiest to cheat, but it's a separate matter not related to Windows security! after all, this was asked by the Member of the MTC.
What you said is correct, normally successful attacks happens when system is out of date and without proper security configuration. Windows runs a concept of defense in depth meaning you have multiple layer of protection and even if someone wanted to access to your system using 0-days, Windows Defender would be able to detect and remove hacking tools.
Hello Okay , But I want to emphasise that the use of Windows 10 is really safe! And insidious actions most often result from a user error who does not knowingly pass certain permissions, but even then using Microsoft Defender, where limited access to folders and other security is enabled, the administrator confirms and agrees to access, if this confirms it will not help any security, but these are very rare cases and there are no reasons for panic and fear of using computers , which work better and create a lot of good things!
Good luck
True, in term of security Windows 10 is doing a great job but user also must be caution.