SOLVED

Disable installation of new hardware

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I want to know how to disable install of new hardware/devices om windows 10 ltsb

Already installed hardware/devices must be enabled for installing new / replaced hardware

Example:

elo touch monitor on usb can be installed when replaced or when a new model is connected

or:

the enduser of our product is replacing the motherboard to get more speed etc..

How can i make a policy or disable services to fix the "problem"

Our product is a windows 10 system with our program as shell

i have made it (i hope) closed up zo windows explorer does not start

3 Replies
best response confirmed by XenoxNL (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Do you mean that you want to disable the installation of physical new hardware or the installation of new hardware device drivers on Windows 10?
I assume the latter.

1. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions.

2. Double-click on "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs".

3. Switch the status of the preference to enabled.

4. Click on the show button afterwards.

5. Add hardware IDs for the devices that you don't want Windows to update under value (in each row one device). You can add plug and play hardware IDs or compatible IDs. Note that one hardware ID is enough, you don't need to add all that are listed.

6. Click ok once you are done.

to get the HWID:

1. You need to launch the Device Manager again if it is closed already. Instructions on how to do so are found under 3 above.

2. Locate the device again, and select Properties from the context menu.

3. Switch to the details tab afterwards.

4. Select Hardware IDs from the menu at the top.

5. Right-click on the ID, and select Copy from the context menu to copy it to the Windows Clipboard.

more info

Sorry for the late response..
I am looking into this, i think this is what i am looking for...

Thanks
It's all good, glad I could help :)
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by XenoxNL (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Do you mean that you want to disable the installation of physical new hardware or the installation of new hardware device drivers on Windows 10?
I assume the latter.

1. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions.

2. Double-click on "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs".

3. Switch the status of the preference to enabled.

4. Click on the show button afterwards.

5. Add hardware IDs for the devices that you don't want Windows to update under value (in each row one device). You can add plug and play hardware IDs or compatible IDs. Note that one hardware ID is enough, you don't need to add all that are listed.

6. Click ok once you are done.

to get the HWID:

1. You need to launch the Device Manager again if it is closed already. Instructions on how to do so are found under 3 above.

2. Locate the device again, and select Properties from the context menu.

3. Switch to the details tab afterwards.

4. Select Hardware IDs from the menu at the top.

5. Right-click on the ID, and select Copy from the context menu to copy it to the Windows Clipboard.

more info

View solution in original post