Corrupted OS can download updates without leaving traces of source IP? => Windows Russian Doll

Copper Contributor

Greetings,

I'd like to point a possible security flaw within Windows 10 and I have a few suggestions for security improvements.

If Windows OS gets corrupted by hacking and then Windows update downloads and install new driver, can Windows track the IP address of such automatically downloaded drivers? If not, in my opinion, there is within Windows 10 OS a serious security flaw that would allows hackers to leave no traces; by lacking the recording of source IP of downloaded drivers and updates through Windows updates while the OS is corrupted.

Consequently, a new Windows update (KB) would in my opinion need to be released to add a new section under Windows Event Viewer allowing to record source IP of drivers and updates downloaded through Windows Updates. Indeed, any other avenue that the development team can think of to fix such a problem (hacked Windows downloading updates from wrong server) could also be considered.

Should a common PC user really get to encounter enough issue with its OS that he had to dig until he figures out that putting a .bat file in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup with the following command:

sfc /scannow

pause

could be a good idea? (Or to at least run it before updating Windows). I think I did miss such an important tip in the long and useless Windows welcome screen (appearing upon first login after OS install); where it says: "We're taking care of Everything for you", or in the NON-existing Windows user manual. Some companies dare to add instruction on a sticker stamped on their item saying something like: "don't leave children alone with that object" and people STILL buy it. Unfortunately, regarding "PC security tips" or a user manual for common PC user (which could be included in OneDrive), Windows and other company like iOS sell their products without any apparent way (thus any care) to teach their customers about how to use their device in detail/properly; there are many vital functions unknown from common user! As a sale pitch: aren't personal data an important "need" nowaday? Then why not teach your users on how to protect their info better? Isn't Minecraft (from Microsoft) used in the Education? ; I mean, really, where's Windows limit regarding what is being teach? I believe it would be a good idea if OS developers would care to teach to common user about how to use their: OS as well as their integrated apps and integrated utilities in detail; current "General tips" from OS developers only shows that an app exists or so (no further other "options" are explained). It feels like a caring flaw from the high industry in the perspective of a common PC user. OS developers could release lets say: basic, moderate and advanced tutorials predesigned for different level of users.

Also, as bookmarks on Edge can be sync with our Microsoft account, why couldn't ALL PC settings and registry tweaks be also synced (on every changes made)? The process behind it could be like a russian doll: to prevent changes being made to the OS settings and registry up to a certain "level" of predefined security when upon reached would warn the user.

Windows could create a new dedicated file type that would be located on every user's PC and be uploaded frequently to OneDrive which would stock ALL the PC configurations. Ex: .PSF (Personal Settings File) and .PRF (Personal Registry file). This would be wonderful when a user has to format Windows, which I believe is an astronomical number (so it would have a big impact on the community), allowing for quick retrieval of full personal settings. Also, in my suggestion, EVERY time a setting is changed within Windows or made to the registry, it would automatically upload it to OneDrive which could store several copies of older .psf and .prf. On top of it, Windows could design an AI to scan in real time .psf and .prf files (on OneDrive) to detect patterns of infection progression (by connecting changes made between .psf and .prf files); when one PC would be suspected of infection progression, Windows could send a pop up message (just like the black screen to enter the admin password on a normal user session) to warn a specific user that strange modifications were made to his PC (detected by the AI) and that same screen would also automatically redirect the user towards a more friendly GUI of sfc /scannow. In the case where /sfc fails, then a yet unexisting; new Windows component (could be named: Windows Russian Doll (RUSDO)) would start dism online /checkhealth followed by /restorehealth if needed. In the case where dism fails, then RUSDO process would automatically force Windows to reboot in safe mode with networking to run the dism commands again, followed by RUSDO forcing a /sfc scannow in minimal safe mode. Then RUSDO process would boot the user into a normal Windows session (out of safe mode) and display a message saying something like: "Windows has been fully repaired and is back to its normal functional state" or in the case of failure at (automatically) repairing Windows, that same window would instead advice the user to format Windows. Then for the user to SIMPLY reinstall Windows and a moment later it would automatically retrieve the .psf and .prf file (and allow the user to restore his configurations based on a range of date and time of previous files version that the user could browse from) would be a huge improvement of quality of life for every Windows users and the AI would ultimately improve from learning from such events and help reducing hacking hopefully (and all the trouble that up to 1.4 billions people have been exposed to for using Windows OS).

Also, in my opinion every AV company should use that "Russian Doll" concept to prevent degradation of their antivirus; such a concept should not be patented but rather by used by the OS team and antivirus company!

Lastly, Windows should force driver publishers to make their own "antivirus" to scan the firmware of their devices.

In hope of making the internet a more secure place,

Best regards,

B

P.S. I never spent so few bucks (100-150$ per OS) to get SO MUCH trouble out a purchase (counted as time unit) and I've been a Windows user for over the last 17 years (since XP). ...I remember that PCs had much less trouble before the creation of the internet; when games ran through a floppy disk through DOS.

Why is he dancing while everyone later on gets so much trouble from using his software??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojP0BO6H4Qc

1 Reply
Having a similar issue attempting to track bad guys in my pc's as I have been hacked and unable to find the IP Address . had to run a wireshark but it only shows existing traffic and not saved addresses form previous times