SOLVED

Update-Help error

Copper Contributor

안녕하세요.

파워셀을 사용하려 는데 도움이 필요 합니다.

업데이트를 하는데 계속해서 이런 메시지가 나옵니다

Hello.

I need help trying to use PoweShell.

I keep getting this message when I try to update.

Update-Help: Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'ConfigDefenderPerformance, DefenderPerformance, Dism, Get-NetView, Kds, LanguagePackManagement, NetQos, PcsvDevice, Pester, PKI, Whea, WindowsUpdate' with UI culture(s) {ko-KR} : One or more errors occurred. (Response status code does not indicate success: 404 (The specified blob does not exist.).).

English-US help content is available and can be installed using: Update-Help -UICulture en-US.

성공적으로 업데이트 할 수 있도록 도와 주셨으면 고맙겠습니다.

I would appreciate it if you could help me update it successfully.

11 Replies

The error is clear
404, Not found
There might no help available on the selected culture.

What are the result if you type Get-Culture

Thank you for the reply.

PS C:\Users\yeong> get-culture

LCID Name DisplayName
---- ---- -----------
1042 ko-KR 한국어(대한민국)

This is the result:
Apparently the owners of those modules no longer exist and as such the people who can control the help files for those modules aren't available to do so anymore:
https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/17067
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcPTjtybohM&t=2281s
Update-Help -Verbose -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

I did it as above, but I carried out the command without any errors. But I don't know what the above order means.
Can you explain it to us?
You already set the ErrorAction to SilentlyContinue, so no error will return
Read more here for parameter explanation
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/update-help?view=powers...
Thank you for your answer.I understand roughly what that order means. I still have a long way to go, so I can't understand the explanation. I need to study more and more. But the answer was very helpful.
best response confirmed by 이영곤74 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Basically the flow is:
- You used Update-Help to get the Help for the cmdlets for the modules you have installed
- You get an error which indicates that the Help is not available in the chosen culture (ko-KR)
- You append -Verbose to have more information
- You append -Force to ensure that if any Yes/No prompts appear it will automatically chose Yes and continue
- You append -ErrorAction with value SilentlyContinue, which means that if it encounters any error it will continue without showing an error, effectively skipping the parts that it cannot update

So what you did is that you asked the Update-Help cmdlet to update everything it can update, overwrite if needed and not inform you if it hits any error.
Thank you for providing a solution. But to do this, I wonder what level it has to be to be able to come up with. Thank you again for solving this. Please continue to guide me and I will study hard.
Uh, please don't overfocus on studying, this is supposed to be fun as well!

My recommendation for learning is: find problems to solve then try solving them with Powershell. Anything that you now do manually try doing it with Powershell.
And read other people's code, that has been very useful to me to learn!
Thank you, but where can I get the code from other people?
You can mostly find it on Github, but what I do is quite simply search on google:
what I want to do + powershell

For example:
Create AD user powershell
Delete Azure AD user powershell
Manage Sentinel incidents powershell

Ecc...

This way the powershell code you'll find will be written for your exact need, so you can start read it, crossreference it with Microsoft Docs and books like Powershell in a Month of Lunches and start understanding what everything does.

The more you do this the easier it will get, until you'll be able to write all that code yourself.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by 이영곤74 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Basically the flow is:
- You used Update-Help to get the Help for the cmdlets for the modules you have installed
- You get an error which indicates that the Help is not available in the chosen culture (ko-KR)
- You append -Verbose to have more information
- You append -Force to ensure that if any Yes/No prompts appear it will automatically chose Yes and continue
- You append -ErrorAction with value SilentlyContinue, which means that if it encounters any error it will continue without showing an error, effectively skipping the parts that it cannot update

So what you did is that you asked the Update-Help cmdlet to update everything it can update, overwrite if needed and not inform you if it hits any error.

View solution in original post