SOLVED

Update a license assigned to a user to add more enabled plans

Copper Contributor

Hello,

So i need to update licencing for a list of users who migh have some plans disabled.

The users have E3/E5 with only EXO enabled. I need to enable all those other disabled plans, teams to be more specific.

In documentation i see how to disable plans to a existing user but i want the opposite. I want to enable plans to a existing user with a license. I tried to assign the license again but it does not overwrite.

Can you help please?

Thank you.

6 Replies
If you assign the licenses using Groups (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/licensing-groups-assign), then you can assign the users to the group and set the licenses up just like you would like them to be. This requires Azure AD Premium P1, are you using Microsoft 365 E3 or Office 365 E3?

Hello @Harm_Veenstra 

Thank you for your reply.

The thing is that the users already have a licence assigned directly to them. 

Is there a way to assign the license again with all apps included for all users wirth powershell? I want to make sure all users have all apps and it seems that some doesn't.

The licenses are Office 365 E3 and Office 365 E5.

Thank you.

The licenses were assigned by a 3rd party app (Quest on Demand) and it only applied exo and left all others apps to assign. I manually enabled all other apps but it seems i missed some users. I want to apply them all over again to make sure all apps are selected.
For the licensed groups, that doesn't matter but.. You don't have P1 for the users, so that's not an option...

What you could do, is copy licenses from one user to the other:

$mgUser = Get-MgUser -UserId "exampleuser mail address"
Set-MgUserLicense -UserId "target user mail address" -AddLicenses $mgUser.AssignedLicenses -RemoveLicenses @()

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/assign-licenses-to-user-accounts-with-micr...

or use this to remove the plan completely from the user and re-add it again which should enable all features (You have to change the SKU name for the correct one and use the same SKU in the add and remove part

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/assign-licenses-to-user-accounts-with-micr...

best response confirmed by Catarinagm (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Catarinagm 

Reflecting on @Harm_Veenstra's first post, if you have more than a handful of users, you're better off:

1. Adopting a group-based licencing model; then
  2. Confirm the users are receiving the group-assigned licencing; then
  3. Remove the directly-assigned licencing (starting with individuals before moving to an automated, batch-processing approach.)

Continuing with the current direct assignment model only ensures this problem will come up again in the future.

Cheers,

Lain

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Catarinagm (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Catarinagm 

Reflecting on @Harm_Veenstra's first post, if you have more than a handful of users, you're better off:

1. Adopting a group-based licencing model; then
  2. Confirm the users are receiving the group-assigned licencing; then
  3. Remove the directly-assigned licencing (starting with individuals before moving to an automated, batch-processing approach.)

Continuing with the current direct assignment model only ensures this problem will come up again in the future.

Cheers,

Lain

View solution in original post