Unable to Connect to ExchangeOnline

Copper Contributor

So we have MFA enabled on our Office 365 accounts. From my Windows 10 computer, I can connect to the ExchangeOnlineManagement module without issue. However, on my DC I installed Powershell 7.0.3, then successfully installed the ExchangeOnlineManagement module. I can successfully import the module, however when I attempt to connect to it I get the below error. Any ideas?

PS C:\Windows\System32> Connect-ExchangeOnline -UserPrincipalName MyUsername -ShowProgress $true

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The module allows access to all existing remote PowerShell (V1) cmdlets in addit
ion to the 9 new, faster, and more reliable cmdlets.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Old Cmdlets | New/Reliable/Faster Cmdlets |
| Get-CASMailbox | Get-EXOCASMailbox |
| Get-Mailbox | Get-EXOMailbox |
| Get-MailboxFolderPermission | Get-EXOMailboxFolderPermission |
| Get-MailboxFolderStatistics | Get-EXOMailboxFolderStatistics |
| Get-MailboxPermission | Get-EXOMailboxPermission |
| Get-MailboxStatistics | Get-EXOMailboxStatistics |
| Get-MobileDeviceStatistics | Get-EXOMobileDeviceStatistics |
| Get-Recipient | Get-EXORecipient |
| Get-RecipientPermission | Get-EXORecipientPermission |

To get additional information, run: Get-Help Connect-ExchangeOnline or check htt
ps://aka.ms/exops-docs

Send your product improvement suggestions and feedback to exocmdletpreview@servi
ce.microsoft.com. For issues related to the module, contact Microsoft support. D
on't use the feedback alias for problems or support issues.

New-ExoPSSession: C:\Users\jwcitadmin\Documents\PowerShell\Modules\ExchangeOnlin
eManagement\2.0.3\ExchangeOnlineManagement.psm1:426
Line |
426 | . PSSession = New-ExoPSSession -ExchangeEnvironmentName $ExchangeEnviro
| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Could not load type 'System.Security.Cryptography.SHA256Cng' from
| assembly 'System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
| PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'..

10 Replies

@M3Jota 

I am not totally sure, but based on some reading I did there is a compatibility issues between Powershell 7 and ExchangeOnline, even though its almost 1 year post, but not sure if MS fix it or not.

https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/11070

I have the same case, and I am using Powershell 5.1 to manage Exchange Online, as it seems that Powershell Core is not compatible with the module.

even in Windows Event Log I have the following Warning:

Error Message = Could not load type 'System.Security.Cryptography.SHA256Cng' from assembly 'System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'..
Fully Qualified Error ID = System.Exception,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.ExoPowershellSnapin.NewExoPSSession

Context:
Severity = Warning
Host Name = ConsoleHost
Host Version = 7.1.0
Host ID = d1434fc6-2c2d-4b64-8ca4-38ca5f6668c9
Host Application = C:\Program Files\PowerShell\7-preview\pwsh.dll -WorkingDirectory ~
Engine Version = 7.1.0
Runspace ID = d84be782-d5d3-413a-b7c1-a2ab71ab9e4f
Pipeline ID = 75
Command Name = New-ExoPSSession
Command Type = Cmdlet
Script Name = C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ExchangeOnlineManagement\2.0.3\ExchangeOnlineManagement.psm1
Command Path =
Sequence Number = 8
User = 266517A\User390
Connected User =
Shell ID = Microsoft.PowerShell

User Data:

---------------------------

If you find this answer helpful, Please click on Best Response and give like

@farismalaeb is correct, the ExO V2 module doesnt support PowerShell 7/Core yet. A preview version is available and GA should follow in the coming weeks/months.

Hi @Vasil Michev , i am facing the same issue to use powershell script 7 to connect to ExchangeOnline. 

Just wondering if you know what is current progress ? Thanks. 

Powershell 7 is not compatible with EXO. Must use powershell 5 or 6.

@M3Jota 

I have removed Powershell 7.1 (using control panel) and "Connect-ExchangeOnline" problem solved when my computer is running with Powershell 5.1.

Please mark this post if its a solution for your problem too.

It solved my issue. Thank you !!
For those (like me) finding this in 2022 or later, current versions of ExchangeOnlineManagement are compatible with PowerShell Core. To fix this issue, install ExchangeOnlineManagement 2.0.4+

Open a command prompt with admin rights and enter:
Install-Module ExchangeOnlineManagement -Force
This installs the latest version alongside your current instance.
This also works, in PowerShell 7 you can use the -UseWindowsPowerShell parameter when importing modules which are not compatible with PowerShell 7 but do work in PowerShell 5.

C:\Users\HarmV> Import-Module ExchangeOnlineManagement -UseWindowsPowerShell
WARNING: Module ExchangeOnlineManagement is loaded in Windows PowerShell using WinPSCompatSession remoting session; please note that all input and output of commands from this module will be deserialized objects. If you want to load this module into PowerShell please use 'Import-Module -SkipEditionCheck' syntax.
C:\Users\HarmV> Connect-ExchangeOnline

The module allows access to all existing remote PowerShell (V1) cmdlets in addition to the 9 new, faster, and more reliable cmdlets.

| Old Cmdlets | New/Reliable/Faster Cmdlets |
| Get-CASMailbox | Get-EXOCASMailbox |
| Get-Mailbox | Get-EXOMailbox |
| Get-MailboxFolderPermission | Get-EXOMailboxFolderPermission |
| Get-MailboxFolderStatistics | Get-EXOMailboxFolderStatistics |
| Get-MailboxPermission | Get-EXOMailboxPermission |
| Get-MailboxStatistics | Get-EXOMailboxStatistics |
| Get-MobileDeviceStatistics | Get-EXOMobileDeviceStatistics |
| Get-Recipient | Get-EXORecipient |
| Get-RecipientPermission | Get-EXORecipientPermission |

To get additional information, run: Get-Help Connect-ExchangeOnline or check https://aka.ms/exops-docs

Send your product improvement suggestions and feedback to Email address removed. For issues related to the module, contact Microsoft support. Don't use the feedback alias for problems or support issues.
Did this answer your question?

Hi,

I've been struggling for more than 2 hours just to be able to get a simple user list from an Office 365 distribution list. I've installed PowerShell, downloaded a couple of modules, and at the end of the day still unable to get this fu$$^^ù$ user list. Just kill me guys, I don't understand why the online version offers to download a .csv file of all distribution lists, but not members (?????????). Just a non sens. Never seen a such environment leading to a so huge waste of time. Congrats Microsoft.