The strange behavior of PowerShell script in disconnected session

Copper Contributor

Hello!

Could you please explain the strange behavior of PowerShell script in disconnected session?
During execution of following script PowerShell console hangs after first 32 items been processed and I have no other option than to destroy its process forcibly.

$computers = (Get-ADComputer -Filter *).name | select -First 35
Invoke-Command -ComputerName $computers -InDisconnectedSession -ScriptBlock {
            $out = $env:COMPUTERNAME
            Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
            return $out
}

All listed sessions are in busy state.

3.png

If number of selected items is limited by 32 or less everything works fine. Also helps using ThrottleLimit argument.

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $computers -InDisconnectedSession -ThrottleLimit $computers.Count -ScriptBlock {
            Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
            return $out
}

2.png

I guess somehow it could be connected to that default number of simultaneous sessions are limited by 32.

Can you please explain how to correctly work with disconnected sessions if its number a lot much more than 32?

4 Replies
you're using -inDisconnectedSession parameter which, disconnects the sessions as soon as it starts the command.
Surely you can use invoke-command on more than 32 computers.
Look at example 7 and 18 on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/invoke-command?view=pow...

@Animesh Joshi 

Example 7 without the inDisconnectedSession parameter.
Example 18 hangs with busy status if the number of computers is more than 32.
I found two working crutches for myself, but I would like to understand why it does not work as expected.

Crutch 1

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $computers -InDisconnectedSession -ThrottleLimit $computers.Count -ScriptBlock {
            Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
            return $out
}

Crutch 2

foreach ($item in $computers)
{
	Invoke-Command -ComputerName $item -InDisconnectedSession -ScriptBlock {
            Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
            return $out
	}
}

@Dmitry_Popov 
Just use "ThrottleLimit" parameter to specify the maximum number of concurrent connections. Its default value is 32.

For example, 100 connections at a time:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $computers -InDisconnectedSession -ThrottleLimit 100 -ScriptBlock { hostname }

Don't make too many concurrent connections.

In your latest comment you use "-ThrottleLimit $computers.Count" - it might be too high depending on number of computers in your domain. I guess a hundred or two of concurrent sessions should be more than enough.

Get-Help Invoke-Command -Parameter ThrottleLimit

@Mike Shivtorov 

I understand this, therefore, I asked a question. Earlier, I tried using a parameter ThrottleLimit and concurrent connection. But this led to the hang and the status of the busy.
for example

$computer = (Get-ADComputer -filter *).name | select -First 100
Invoke-Command -ComputerName $computer -ThrottleLimit 40 -ScriptBlock {$env:COMPUTERNAME} -InDisconnectedSession

Now in work I use this option

$computers = (Get-ADComputer -Filter *).name | select -First 400
$session = foreach ($item in $computers)
{
	Invoke-Command -ComputerName $item -InDisconnectedSession -ScriptBlock {
            Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
            return $out
	}
}