Still receiving Teams Welcome E-Mails after setting -UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled to false

Copper Contributor

I connected to Exchange Online and set the UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled Parameter to false for every Group using this code.

$WelcomeEmailGroups = Get-UnifiedGroup | Where-Object { $_.WelcomeMessageEnabled -eq $True }

#Disable Welcome Email
ForEach($Group in $WelcomeEmailGroups)
{
    #Disable the Group Welcome Message Email
    Set-UnifiedGroup -Identity $Group.Id -UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled:$false
    Write-host "Welcome Email Disabled for the Group:"$Group.PrimarySmtpAddress
}

Apparently that works because the property returned by this code is now "False" for every group.

Get-UnifiedGroup | Format-List DisplayName,WelcomeMessageEnabled

But if I download the group report from the Azure AD the csv column "mailEnabled" still says "True" for every group. The Users still receive Welcome E-Mails.

Bild1.png

 Has anyone experienced something similar?

2 Replies
Didn't experience this, setting it to false should stop new members from receiving welcome messages. It could take some time after changing the setting perhaps? So, change setting and wait a few hours to add new members?

@JanShhh 

Did you ever find a solution?  When I set to false the user doesn't get the Microsoft 365 group email.  (SharePoint site). They still get the email saying welcome to the team.