Script to add an AD Security group to multiple User Home drive folders

Copper Contributor

Hi All

I'm trying to put together a script to perform the following task:

First to add an AD Security Group named "ADMigration" and assign it (Read access) to a large list of User Home Drives (folders).  

I have a master user list with the home drive location/path and would like to leverage the list to apply the new permissions to the ACL of each user home folders.

I have been reading so many articles on assigning permission using Set-ACL, Get-ACL and modules like ADD-NTFDAccess etc, but have now got to the point where I'm confusing myself.

Could I please ask one of you clever scripting people to possibly assist me with a script to accomplish this or at least point me in the best direction or way of achieving the above?

Would really appreciate all your input and really appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks

Nitrox

5 Replies

@Nitrox 

If you're still looking to solve this, hopefully this will get you started. The Set-ACL syntax you want will be something like:

$HomeFolderPath="X:\Path\To\Home\Folder"
#Get Existing Permissions
$NewAcl=Get-Acl -Path $HomeFolderPath
# Set properties
$identity = "ADMigration"
$fileSystemRights = "Read"
$type = "Allow"
# Create new rule
$fileSystemAccessRuleArgumentList = $identity, $fileSystemRights, $type
$fileSystemAccessRule = New-Object -TypeName System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule -ArgumentList $fileSystemAccessRuleArgumentList
# Apply new rule
$NewAcl.SetAccessRule($fileSystemAccessRule)
Set-Acl -Path $HomeFolderPath -AclObject $NewAcl

If this works for you, the next step would be to wrap it up in a loop, reading the Home Drive paths from your list.

@Nitrox 

# Set the name of the AD security group to create
$GroupName = "ADMigration"

# Create the new AD security group
New-ADGroup -Name $GroupName -GroupScope Global -GroupCategory Security

# Set the list of home drive folders to modify
$HomeDriveList = @(
    "\\server\share\user1",
    "\\server\share\user2",
    "\\server\share\user3"
)

# Loop through each home drive folder and add the AD security group to its ACL with Read access
foreach ($HomeDrive in $HomeDriveList) {
    # Get the current ACL of the home drive folder
    $acl = Get-Acl $HomeDrive

# Create a new Access Rule for the AD security group with Read access
    $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule($GroupName, "ReadAndExecute", "Allow")

# Add the new Access Rule to the home drive folder's ACL
    $acl.SetAccessRule($rule)

# Set the modified ACL to the home drive folder
    Set-Acl $HomeDrive $acl
}

You will need to update the $GroupName and $HomeDriveList variables to match your environment. Also, make sure to run the script as an administrator and that the account you use has sufficient permissions to modify the ACLs of the home drive folders.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice from both of you, much appreciated.

@Varun

I used the script you supplied and it worked fine but the group did not inherit down through all subfolder and files.

Can you tell me where to add this in the script as i have tried to modify various parts but I continue to get an error?

Many thanks

Nitrox
Ok so ignore last question as managed to get it to work using the following:

$rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule($GroupName, 'Read','ContainerInherit,ObjectInherit', 'NoPropagateInherit', 'Allow')

Works perfectly.

Thank you both for the advise once again, very much appreciated and thankful

@Varun_Ghildiyal thanks for sharing. Working fine with few folders, but how I use it with a csv file with over 1000 fileshares?