Remove INSECURE_NPCAP from an adapter Interface

Copper Contributor

I am trying to remove  the Npcap Packet Driver (NPCAP) from my Ethernet 2 interface. If I run the command:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-NetAdapterBinding -AllBindings

Name DisplayName ComponentID Enabled
---- ----------- ----------- -------
Ethernet 2 Npcap Packet Driver (NPCAP) INSECURE_NPCAP True
Ethernet 2 Npcap Packet Driver (NPCAP) (Wi-Fi) INSECURE_NPCAP_WIFI True

I see the NPCAP binding. When I try to run the command:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Disable-NetAdapterBinding -Name Ethernet_2 -ComponentID INSECURE_NPCAP

I get this error output. I am not familiar with PowerShell and was wondering if someone could point out what I am doing wrong?

Disable-NetAdapterBinding : No matching MSFT_NetAdapterBindingSettingData objects found by CIM query for instances of the
ROOT/StandardCimv2/MSFT_NetAdapterBindingSettingData class on the CIM server: SELECT * FROM MSFT_NetAdapterBindingSettingData WHERE ((Name LIKE
'Ethernet[_]2')) AND ((ComponentID LIKE 'INSECURE[_]NPCAP')). Verify query parameters and retry.
At line:1 char:1
+ Disable-NetAdapterBinding -Name Ethernet_2 -ComponentID INSECURE_NPCA ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (MSFT_NetAdapterBindingSettingData:String) [Disable-NetAdapterBinding], CimJobException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CmdletizationQuery_NotFound,Disable-NetAdapterBinding

4 Replies

@James_Haynes

You specify Ethernet_2 in your command, but the adapter's name is Ethernet 2. So the command would have to be :

Disable-NetAdapterBinding -Name "Ethernet 2" -ComponentID INSECURE_NPCAP

Did this solve your issue?
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I had to solve the issue a while back and just did a re-install on the laptop.
reinstall is also an option ;)