SOLVED

Power shell script which shows list of RBAC role, Azure resource and Username

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with a powershell script which shows list consisting of RBAC role, Azure resource & username to whom it is allocated to? 

11 Replies

@AlphaBetaGamma How about this, using the  Get-AzRoleAssignment cmdlet:

Get-AzRoleAssignment | Select-Object RoleDefinitionName, Scope , DisplayName

Output will look something like this

RoleDefinitionName  Scope                                                     DisplayName
------------------  -----                                                     -----------
Contributor         /subscriptions/(guid)/resourcegroups/myresourcegroup      Bob
Reader              /subscriptions/(guid)/resourcegroups/myresourcegroup/myvm Jim
Contributor         /subscriptions/(guid)/resourcegroups/myresourcegroup/myvm Sal

Thanks for your response, Yeah, i have tried this. But I was trying to get exact resource name against each RABC role and the username. @Chris Bradshaw 

@AlphaBetaGamma - would you be able to write out some sample (made up) output so I can get a better idea of what you're looking for?

@Chris Bradshaw Sorry, I didn't convey it properly it seems, my bad. Here is below output I was expecting from Powershell script.

Azure Resource nameSignInNameRoleDefinitionName
keyvaultaaa@aaa.comConributor
sqlaaa@aaa.comReader
best response confirmed by AlphaBetaGamma (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@AlphaBetaGamma Thanks- that makes sense.

The following script should do something like that, by looping through the resources and then a nested loop through the role assignments. I've included the "Display Name" field as well in case you have any roles assigned to groups- they just have a blank entry for "SignInName".

foreach ($Resource in Get-AzResource) {
 $RoleAssignments=Get-AZRoleAssignment -ResourceGroupName $Resource.ResourceGroupName -ResourceName $Resource.Name -ResourceType $resource.type
 ForEach ($RoleAssignment in $RoleAssignments){
   $Resource | Select-Object @{Name="Azure Resource name";Expression={$Resource.Name}},
     @{Name="SignInName";Expression={$RoleAssignment.SignInName}},
     @{Name="DisplayName";Expression={$RoleAssignment.DisplayName}},
     @{Name="RoleDefinitionName";Expression={$RoleAssignment.RoleDefinitionName}}
 }
}

@Chris Bradshaw Does this script show the roles of users which are in groups too?

@printscreen Not as it stands- it shows the group name assigned to a role , but wouldn't resolve any members. To do that, we could look for any results from this script which had a value for a display name but not a sign in name. These could probably be interpreted as groups and fed into Get-ADGroupMember with the -recursive flag set.

@Chris Bradshawsomething like this? 

ForEach ($Resource in Get-AzResource) {
    $RoleAssignments=Get-AZRoleAssignment -ResourceGroupName $Resource.ResourceGroupName -ResourceName $Resource.Name -ResourceType $resource.type
    ForEach ($RoleAssignment in $RoleAssignments){
      $new=Get-AzADGroupMember -DisplayName $RoleAssignments.DisplayName 
      foreach ($new in $RoleAssignment){
        $Resource | Select-Object @{Name="Azure Resource name";Expression={$Resource.Name}},
      }
    }
   }

@Chris Bradshaw Ignore my previous script. I was just messing myself and trying out, but it doesn't display the individual members in the group. And hitting this error:

Get-AzADGroupMember : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Name'.
At line:4 char:30

I'm sure there is some wrong with the line which I added, Is this something you can help with?

@printscreen Sorry, I've had a busy week at the office so haven't got back sooner.

With this script we can separate out the Group assignments from the user assignments by checking $RoleAssignment.ObjectType. I've used an if block in the following example. Once we have the group, Get-AzADGroupMember can be used to do a lookup on the group and then we can loop through those $GroupMembers and get the value for each.

Note that this code won't currently deal with nested groups (Get-AZADGroupMember doesn't have a -recursive option), but you should be able to find the code to do that with a quick search around if required.

$RoleAssignments=Get-AZRoleAssignment -ResourceGroupName $Resource.ResourceGroupName -ResourceName $Resource.Name -ResourceType $resource.type
     if ($RoleAssignment.ObjectType -eq "Group"){
      #Role Assignment is a Group, list Group members
      $GroupMembers=Get-AzADGroupMember -GroupObjectId $RoleAssignment.ObjectID
      ForEach ($GroupMember in $GroupMembers){
       $Resource | Select-Object @{Name="Azure Resource name";Expression={$Resource.Name}},
       @{Name="SignInName";Expression={$GroupMember.UserPrincipalName}},
       @{Name="DisplayName";Expression={$GroupMember.DisplayName}},
      }
     }else{
      #Not a Group- Treat as a User
     }
   }
 }

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AlphaBetaGamma (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@AlphaBetaGamma Thanks- that makes sense.

The following script should do something like that, by looping through the resources and then a nested loop through the role assignments. I've included the "Display Name" field as well in case you have any roles assigned to groups- they just have a blank entry for "SignInName".

}
}

View solution in original post