output in mail is a single line

Copper Contributor

Hi all,
I would like to pipe output form any *GET* command to mail as body.
That works alright, but instead of getting a nicely formatted table of records i get a single line of text.

${*Username*} = Read-Host -Prompt 'Type username'
    ${*Result*} = Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership ${*Username*} |select name |Out-String
    Send-MailMessage -From Email address removed -Subject memberships -To Email address removed -Body ${*Result*} -BodyAsHtml -SmtpServer smtp.mydomain.com

just using the command part from line 2 gives a perfect result on terminal. So it strips the newline attribute while converting to mail I guess... 
Any clues?

2 Replies
add: I can also export the output to csv and add the file as attachment.
Tried that and it works, but I don't want to use attachments in this case.

@Buutenlander 

First, an observation.

Using -BodyAsHtml is a mistake in your script's current form, as the body's not HTML at all but simply a plain-text string.

This leads to having two options you can pursue:

1. Add tags around your existing string (the $Result variable), or;
  2. Leave the -BodyAsHtml out.

For Option 1, you can introduce the tags you need using ConvertTo-Html instead of Out-String:

$Username = Read-Host -Prompt 'Type username'
$Result = Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership $Username | select Name | ConvertTo-Html
Send-MailMessage -From Email address removed -Subject memberships -To Email address removed -Body $Result -BodyAsHtml -SmtpServer smtp.mydomain.com

Option 2 doesn't really need further explanation, though you may or may not need to fiddle with the -Encoding parameter depending on your environment.

Cheers,

Lain