New_LocalUser not working

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to use powershell 7 to create a new local user on my computer and I always get an error message.

PowerShell 7.2.6
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.

https://aka.ms/powershell
Type 'help' to get help.

PS C:\Windows\System32> new-localuser -name 'bob'

cmdlet New-LocalUser at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
Password:
New-LocalUser: Could not load type 'Microsoft.PowerShell.Telemetry.Internal.TelemetryAPI' from assembly 'System.Management.Automation, Version=7.2.6.500, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.
PS C:\Windows\System32>
7 Replies
DESCRIPTION
The `New-LocalUser` cmdlet creates a local user account. This cmdlet creates a local user account or a local user account that is connected to a Microsoft account.

> [!NOTE] > The Microsoft.PowerShell.LocalAccounts module is not available in 32-bit PowerShell on a 64-bit > system

Have the same issue, does work in PowerShell v5. It does work after running import-module microsoft.powershell.localaccounts -UseWindowsPowerShell (Effectively running it in PowerShell v5 mode in PowerShell v7)
Did that help resolve your issue?

Any update? Did this work out for you ?

Hello, I am getting the same issue when I use the new-localuser on a Powershell version 7.3.6. I don't understand how to fix this.

@santiago_-_- 

"it does work after running import-module microsoft.powershell.localaccounts -UseWindowsPowerShell (Effectively running it in PowerShell v5 mode in PowerShell v7)"

Just tested it again, still works like that in PowerShell 7

@Harm_Veenstra 

Hello and thank you for getting back to me so quickly! You are right it does work (second picture), however, I get this message after I run the cmdlets (first picture top). The problem is that after I close the Powershell terminal I get the same error (third picture), does that mean that I have to run the cmdlet import-module microsoft.powershell.localaccounts -usewindowspowershell every single time I open Powershell and want to create a new local user?13.png21.png35.png

Yes, you could put it into your profile (notepad $profile and add the import-module there, that way it will always be available)

But you can also use Powershell.exe (v5) instead of pwsh.exe (v7) for this