SOLVED

I installed Windows Terminal which was not installed before, but PowerShell it gives me this error!

Brass Contributor

8.png

WMF 5.1 cannot be installed

S.o. Windows 11 pro build 21H2 22000.978

DISM and Sfc no error!

Thank you

22 Replies
And from the pull-down menu in Windows Termina, you do see PowerShell 5? Can you start c:\windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe ?

@Harm_Veenstra 

Thank you,

No, it starts and closes.

I restored a July image, but if I launched WPS from the quick menu it behaved the same way, ie it opened and closed.

I reset the system by deleting the last Qualitative Build, it is now 22000.739.

In these conditions it presents itself with the quick menu with the Terminal items and v.7.2.5 opens asking to update, while if I go to all the apps, I select Terminal (voice that wasn't there before), right button, it appears as in the image es and I start WindowsPowerShell in high I see the attached message .... while the others are fine ...

Thank you for your cooperation.

I hope not to cause confusion ...

It's complaining about registry permissions? (In the immagina.png screenshot)? Are the permissions correct, can you open that key in the registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell does not exist!

Could you save below to a .reg file and double-click/import it?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PowerShell\1\PowerShellEngine]
"ApplicationBase"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0"
"ConsoleHostAssemblyName"="Microsoft.PowerShell.ConsoleHost, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=msil"
"ConsoleHostModuleName"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowerShell\\v1.0\\Microsoft.PowerShell.ConsoleHost.dll"
"PowerShellVersion"="2.0"
"PSCompatibleVersion"="1.0, 2.0"
"RuntimeVersion"="v2.0.50727"

@Harm_Veenstra 

Im.png

It is only possible to import binary registry files from the registry editor.
I'll manually enter them one by one if possible ...
in the meantime, thank you

Double-clicking the file with the contents doesn't work? This is strange, there's something wrong with your Windows installation I guess? They are all Reg_SZ btw

Tomorrow I will try to verify the system with DISM and Sfc
thank you

@Harm_Veenstra 

DISM and SFC no errors.
I managed to put the new keys in the registry, but now it looks like this:new.png

Thank You

In fact there was no the environment variable
% systemroot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0, I added it but it still didn't work.

1.png

Ok... It's not a profile thing? Could you start a Command-Prompt and run 'powershell.exe -noprofile' ?

C:\Windows\system32> powershell.exe -noprofile
Windows PowerShell internal error. Managed Windows PowerShell loading failed with error 80070002.

There's something wrong with your DotNet Framework installation perhaps, could you reinstall dotnet 4.5.2 or higher?

@Harm_Veenstra 

Is there something wrong here?

Immagine 2022-09-19 142434.png

Immagine.png

what does it mean?

I don't know, but what DotNet versions do you have installed? (dotnet --list-runtimes) You could use the repair tool to fix issues if any https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135
dotnet: The term 'dotnet' is not recognized as a name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or executable program.
Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
Hmmm, perhaps this is an indication of the issue... Could you try the dotnet repair tool from the link above

@Harm_Veenstra 

Reinstall IN PLACE build 22000.194 , but the problem is reversed ..

1.jpg

2.jpg

PS: After installing all the updates, everything works normally!

Thank you for your cooperation.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Alpha45 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Does import-module appx -UseWindowsPowerShell work in PowerShell 7?

View solution in original post