SOLVED

Export Import CSV - help please :)

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone

I am currently creating a script that consists of a lot of small tasks, ending with the result being an Excel Report for the management team. But one part is giving me some trouble, so new i seek your help.

I have a number of CSV filers with the following rows:

"computer";"lastseen";"doccount"

I am only interested in the "computer" row, which contains computer names on client machines.

I need to end up with a CSV file with only that row + the column data. I have been trying to do the following:

Get-content -Path Pathtosource\sourcefile.csv | Select-Object -Property computer | Export-Csv -path Pathtodestination\destinationfile.csv -NoTypeInformation

To get it done in one command. But all i get is a CSV file with the text "computer" and nothing else. All the column data is missing.

I have been trying this also:

$ElasticBDContent = Get-content -Path PathtoSource\Sourcefile.csv
$ElasticBDContent = $ElasticBDContent | Select-Object -Property computer  
$ElasticBDContent | Export-Csv -path PathtoDestination\Destinationfile.csv -NoTypeInformation

Giving me the exact same result, a CSV file with the following content:

"computer"

This is the content i am looking for:

"computer"

"computer1"

"computer2"

"computer3"

Can anyone give an example on how to achieve this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

Every time you run the Export-CSV cmdlet you are effectively overwriting the file. Use the -Append switch as an easy fix.

Hi Vasil

I have tried to apply the -Append option, but it gives me the same result.

A file with one "Computer" row and no computer names.

Any other suggestions on what i am doing wrong?

best response confirmed by Kennethjn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I found the issue to simply being me missing the -Delimiter option on the import-csv command.

I added -Delimiter ";", since it is the seperator in the csv file, and things are working now.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Kennethjn (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I found the issue to simply being me missing the -Delimiter option on the import-csv command.

I added -Delimiter ";", since it is the seperator in the csv file, and things are working now.

View solution in original post