SOLVED

Disable \ Remove old computer accounts

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I have a script for disabling & removing old computer accounts.

Import-Module ActiveDirectory

# Set the Parameters since last logon

$ForDisable = "C:\Logs\Computers Accounts\Disable-$((Get-Date).ToString('dd-MM-yyyy')).csv"
$ForDelete = "C:\Logs\Computers Accounts\Delete-$((Get-Date).ToString('dd-MM-yyyy')).csv"

# Automated way (includes never logged on computers)

function Get-BadPC{
param(
[parameter(mandatory=$true)]$Days,
[parameter(mandatory=$true)]
[ValidateSet('Delete','Disable')]$Action
)
$InactiveDate = (Get-Date).Adddays(-($Days))
$Computers_For_Action = Search-ADAccount -AccountInactive -DateTime $InactiveDate -ComputersOnly -SearchBase "DC=staff ,DC=local" | Where-Object {($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Servers,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Test,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=IT,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Laptops,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Computers,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Managed Service Accounts,*") }
$Computers_For_Action | Export-Csv "C:\Logs\Computers Accounts\$($Action)-$((Get-Date).ToString('dd-MM-yyyy')).csv" -NoTypeInformation -Encoding UTF8

switch ($action){
Disable {$Computers_For_Action | Disable-ADAccount }
Delete {$Computers_For_Action | Remove-ADComputer -Confirm:$False }

}

}
Get-BadPC -Days 180 -Action Disable
Get-BadPC -Days 365 -Action Delete

The script working great.

the problem I get every day is the same computer accounts that have already been disabled or deleted on the previous day.

My goal is to receive a CSV file with the computer account that is disabled or removed on the same day.

thanks for the help.

14 Replies
Hi,
You will need to modify the filter and add the modifieddate property in the search criteria.
How do I do it?
Search-ADAccount -AccountInactive -DateTime $InactiveDate -ComputersOnly -SearchBase "DC=staff ,DC=local" | Where-Object {($_.whenChanged -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-1)) -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Servers,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Test,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=IT,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Laptops,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Computers,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Managed Service Accounts,*") }

@dannytveria So the following what you need to add

($_.whenChanged -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-1)

Hi Faris,
I changed today the script, I will update tomorrow.
thanks

@farismalaeb 

Hi Faris,
I changed as you said, it didn`t help.

$Computers_For_Action = Search-ADAccount -AccountInactive -DateTime $InactiveDate -ComputersOnly -SearchBase "DC=student ,DC=local" | Where-Object {($_.whenChanged -lt (Get-Date).AddDays(-1)) -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Servers,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Test,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=IT,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Laptops,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Computers,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Managed Service Accounts,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Classes,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Teacher Standing,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=WVD,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Margolin and Chativa Teachers and Workers,*") }

I still get in the report the same computers from the first day I runed the script

Do you have any idea?

@dannytveria 

When you use the command:

Search-ADAccount -AccountInactive -DateTime $ InactiveDate -ComputersOnly

This does not mean that the Enabled property is False, it only means that no one has logged in for a long time
To have only the computers which are still activated add a filter to your command:

$Computers_For_Action = Search-ADAccount -AccountInactive -DateTime $InactiveDate -ComputersOnly -SearchBase "DC=staff ,DC=local" | Where-Object {($_.Enabled -eq $true) -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Servers,*")  -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Test,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=IT,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Laptops,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Computers,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Managed Service Accounts,*") }
Hi Aharon,
I didn't understand your all explain.
My final goal is to get a csv report with only the computer accounts that disabled or deleted on the same day.
Thanks
Hi,
If you don't specify that you want to deactivate only the computers that are currently active, then the csv file will still contain the computers that have already been deactivated, so you must specify that you want to deactivate only the active computers with the filter ($ _. Enabled -eq $true)
So if I add the filter today, the next run of the script will be empty or only the disabled computers for today?
If you restart the script just after then effectively the csv will be empty, so you will have to wait until the computers are new "old" for the script to return results. It will depend on your $InactiveDate filter

Get-BadPC -Days 180 -Action Disable
Get-BadPC -Days 365 -Action Delete

@AharonBensadoun 

this the parameters for inactive days

best response confirmed by dannytveria (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@dannytveria 

Ok , test it and let me know if this help:

$Computers_For_Action = Search-ADAccount -AccountInactive -DateTime $InactiveDate -ComputersOnly -SearchBase "DC=staff ,DC=local" | Where-Object {($_.Enabled -eq $true) -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Servers,*")  -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Test,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=IT,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,OU=Laptops,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Computers,*") -and ($_.distinguishedname -notlike "*,CN=Managed Service Accounts,*") }
Thanks Aharon for your help
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dannytveria (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@dannytveria 

Ok , test it and let me know if this help:

View solution in original post