SOLVED

Creating a Custom RBAC Role for exchange

Copper Contributor
New-ManagementRole -Parent "View-Only Organization Management" -Name "Custom - ViewOnly Recipients"

Get-ManagementRoleEntry "Custom - ViewOnly Recipients\*" | Where {$_.Name -notlike "*Get-"} | Remove-ManagementRoleEntry

$name = "ServiceDesk Management"
$roles = "Custom - ViewOnly Recipients"
$Description = "Members of this management role group have rights to view Exchange recipient objects in the organization"
New-RoleGroup -Name $name  -Roles $roles  -ManagedBy "Manager" -Description $Description

i am trying to create a RABC for service desk engineers to view exchange recipients only

could someone confirm the steps below are correct?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by AustinSundar (Copper Contributor)
Solution
"View-Only Organization Management" is not a built-in role. There's a built-in role group with the same name, but you cannot use a role group for the above process. Try with the "View-Only Recipients" role instead.
i am trying to restrict the role to use only get-commands. and remving any set commands
Get-ManagementRoleEntry "XXX - ViewOnly Recipients\*" | Where {$_.Name -notlike "*Get"} | Remove-ManagementRoleEntry
however, i receive the error below...
could you help?

Write-ErrorMessage : Cannot process argument transformation on parameter 'Identity'. Cannot convert value "XXX- ViewOnly Recipients" to type "Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.RoleEntryIdParameter". Error: "The format of the value you specified in
the Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.RoleEntryIdParameter parameter isn't valid. Check the value, and then try again.
Parameter name: identity"

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AustinSundar (Copper Contributor)
Solution
"View-Only Organization Management" is not a built-in role. There's a built-in role group with the same name, but you cannot use a role group for the above process. Try with the "View-Only Recipients" role instead.

View solution in original post