Tuning offline files

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I've been a IT admin for 10+ years so looking for some expert advice. I am not looking for "check for updates and reboot", so if you respond with those, I will ignore. This is a relatively new problem but I'm sure someone has a reg hack to resolve the server connection issues I am experiencing.

Windows 10 ver 1909, server 2016, domain is functional 2012R2. 

I have an office of 50 people and 35 now work from home. These people login from home and access 2 mapped drives. 1 maps the common share which I have turned off offline files. The other is their home share and desktop. Their documents and home directories are redirected to a server share. I have offline files turned on on the server share, but the problem is that the detection frequency is off when they login. I have just gone over some of the group policy settings which show that by default, these synchronize at logon. Except that we log onto the VPN first after logging into Windows, which I believe is causing my groups issue. How do you set a sync timer to happen hourly? What about having a more accurate network detect which is why some users file keep going offline. 

It is a pain, but I have them open file explorer, choose home, then easy access, then work online. in Sync center, there doesn't seem to be much of any options other than removing the CSC Cache and letting it sync. 

Do you have a solution or at least an idea of what additions can be added within Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CscService? 

Attached is a screenshot of what I see when files are offline and have a grey X in the bottom left corner. 

I'd like to set a 1x per hour sync and a 30 min slow link detection which would bring the docs back online.  I appreciate your time. 

Dan  

2 Replies

@dmsith288 

The scenario you described would work well in case you run Microsoft SharePoint and OneDrive functionality. However for the scenario you described, I don't think it is possible to set time easily. 

@Reza_Ameri-Archived Thanks Reza, I did find a 3 group policy settings in computer settings> Administrative Templates>Network > Offline files > Synchronize all files before and after logging on/off and another one. I don't know that it will work but we'll see.

I'm not ready to put one drive and SharePoint as our main sharing platforms.