Moving to Modern Management (MDM)- What's holding you back?What are your top blockers/show-stoppers?

5 Replies

Imagine a school where they want Chrome as a second browser with some very specific extensions installed. Currently this can be done with GP packs specifically for Chrome.

Will MDM ever go so far, will it ever be as extensible?

I guess that is the great 'contradiction' if you will: most people would welcome simpler more modern deployment solutions, but if you need to wait 5 years before it is as comprehensive (or powerful) then I don't think they will spend the effort implementing it now.

I think you should cover a good number of end-to-end usage scenarios before people will jump en masse.

Just my two cents...

I agree with " most people would welcome simpler more modern deployment solutions, but if you need to wait 5 years before it is as comprehensive (or powerful) then I don't think they will spend the effort implementing it now." 

The effort for implementation is just not worth it currently.

Just to address the specific point about Chrome here - 

Exposing in Chrome is something the folks at Google will need to do, the same way they did that with GP. I would even argue that since MDM isn't exclusive to Microsoft platforms, it would make sense for Google to invest in that area. (Maybe they already have - never looked for it tbh)

We do appreciate the feedback, and I'll make sure the relevant teams are aware. 

Hello Bavo, With the Creators Update, in MDM, we now support Win32 App settings configuration. More details are here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/win32-and-centennial-app-policy-confi...

Would love to hear more about the usage scenarios you encounter, and we can share status and provide pointers.

Thanks,

Mamta

Hello Veronica,

With the Fall Creators Update, we are targeting to make Windows Security Baselines available in MDM. This has been one of the top asks towards ensuring Corporate assets are secure in Modern Management. Please take a look at the RS2 Security Baselines we published.

We are working closely with MDM ISV partners to enable customers using MDM to leverage our Microsoft recommended Windows Security Baselines in MDM. 

Thanks,

Mamta