Your diagnostic and usage data requires attention to get Insider builds

Copper Contributor

Build 17101.rs4_release.180211-1040

Hadn't been getting builds for a while. Checked Insider settings had this message. Fix me button, but it appears disabled.

Not sure what attention is required or how to perform manually.

26 Replies

Hi Michael, 

Sorry you are having trouble.

The "Fix Me" is usually about an account that needs attention.

Can you go to Settings->Accounts->Email & app accounts and see if any account needs to be verified.

Then go to Settings->Privacy->Diagnostics & feedback and make sure that your Diagnostic data is set to Full.

Please let me know if this has resolved your issue!

Thanks!

Hi.

Have the same issue, build 17618.rs_prerelease.180302-1651

After I reset windows after "black logon with cursor" issue, my Insider settings says "diagnostic and usage data requires attention to get Insider builds"

Privacy -> Diagnostics & Feedback is set to "Full" and greyed out, as "Windows insider program manages that option"

The "Fix Me" button brings up a window that says "Diagnostic privacy settings are too low, etc". But after pressing "Confirm" button nothing happens.

Anybody knows how can I fix it?

Build 17115.rs4_release.180302-1642

Thank Grud you posted...I had just logged on to do the same, as I just found the same situation, complete greyed-out diagnostic settings. 

Hopefully someone has the answer but, not to be overstating the obvious or insulting, t I'd check the feedback hub, too. Something tells me we're not the only ones seeing this.

I can confirm the same here. All options are greyed out claiming that Windows Insider is controlling the settings. Fix Me button acts like its going to change something to enable additional diagnostics and usage collection but the problem remains.

It would be nice if we could tell exactly what this process is checking for compliance with the insider program. I don't see any events logged pertaining to the checks that were done or changes that were made (if any) and I've been hunting for a log file that may have some pointers to the root cause.

Anyone here know where these attempts to check program requirements are logged?
Well this is interesting...

I decided to go out to the insider.windows.com site to check my account status and clicked on the Sign In link. Received this:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /oauthinsider/ on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I had a tab in Edge opened that was already logged into account.microsoft.com with the account that is linked to the Insider Program. Went to insider.microsoft.com from that tab and the Sign In link was gone, replaced by a default profile image. Clicked on that and the options shown were to sign out or go to my account. I clicked go to my account and got an asp.net error page stating that an unhandled exception occurred:

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

So maybe my account is jacked up and Windows is having issue retrieving the account status?

Hi there, i've excatly the same issue !

"All options are greyed out claiming that Windows Insider is controlling the settings. Fix Me button acts like its going to change something to enable additional diagnostics and usage collection but the problem remains."

And

"check my account status and clicked on the Sign In link. Received this:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /oauthinsider/ on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
..."

I know this does not help you at this time, but this issue is being worked on.

In the mean time, there has been Feedback submitted: https://aka.ms/Uzfrjs

If you can, please go to the feedback and upvote the issue!

Thanks!

I finally gave up and restored a 1709 system image I had made prior to installing the preview build. Strangely enough, doing this apparently fixed my insider account as I can now login error free and see my profile.

Agreed!  I finally got fed up and rolled my system back. Fixed the problem and the next two builds (so far) have gone perfectly.

No idea.  I have the same problem and have been trying different things for a couple of days now.  If I find the solution, I will let you know.

Hi

I just fixed the issue following the directions on this website.

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-insider/106799-issue-diagnostic-data-usage-settings-cannot-get-bui...

Specifically I just changed these values in bold (to be on the fast ring)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability]
"UseSettingsExperience"=dword:00000000
"ContentType"="Skip"
"IsRetailOS"=dword:00000000
"IsConfigSettingsFlightingEnabled"=dword:00000001
"IsConfigExpFlightingEnabled"=dword:00000000
"Ring"="WIF"
"IsBuildFlightingEnabled"=dword:00000001
"BranchName"="external"
"RingBackup"="WIF"
"EnablePreviewBuilds"=dword:00000002
"AdminFlowsValidateFlightSettingsHr"=dword:00000000
"ThresholdOptedin"=dword:00000001
"RingId"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\UI\Selection]
"UIContentType"="Skip"
"UIBranch"="external"
"UIRing"="WIF"
"UIDialogConsent"=dword:00000020

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings]
"InsiderProgramEnabled"=dword:00000001

Good find! Thanks so much for sharing it here. For the last several Skip Ahead builds I was jumping through all kinds of hoops to get new builds, upgrading by doing in-place upgrades with newer-build ISOs; I kept thinking that eventually one of the updates would fix the problem--whatever it was. So when I saw there was yet another new build recently (17643.1000), rather than go through the in-place nonsense yet again, I decided I'd try another round of searching for solutions and stumbled upon your post. The update is installing as I type. :)
Thanks again!

Your are welcome. I was lucky to run in to this solution in the website I mentioned. Hopefully, Microsoft fixes this issue.

Thanks, fixed my issue, too!

Thanks a lot! It works for me
Hey Brian, this answer worked for me so thanks a lot for sharing it :)!

To me it is always a bit interesting but mostly sad when we constantly see every day PC users answering questions on how to fix some of the most fundamental elements in Microsoft products. A simple fix of me button does not work and yet a user is who has to document the steps necessary to edit the registry. The only thing Microsoft personnel can do is respond the issue is being investigated yet months and sometimes years later the issue is still being investigated. Meanwhile some user has long ago figured out the solution or the workaround. It's really the most pathetic system I've ever seen. It is the bureaucracy that absolutely quagmired so deep at Microsoft that they can even let their people reply without saying the issue is being investigated. Dear Lord thank you these people are not in charge of any major catastrophes on this planet we would all long be dead while it's still being investigated...

Wanted to give you an "atta boy"/thank you. I had the same problem (Fix Me in Windows Insider Program didn't work and Diagnostics data settings grayed out). Your reply pointed me at the salient keys in the Registry and I changed them to look like the keys on my systems that didn't have the problem.

You saved me :) I had problems and did a reset and after installing had the Take control then the fix me issue... This worked - Thanks Brian