SOLVED

WU Install error - 0x800f020b

Copper Contributor

I keep getting this error message in Windows Update. It's for my HP Printer, but my HP printer is up to date and working, so I don't want or need this driver. I don't see a way to ignore it so that it doesn't keep showing up as a failed update. Any help is appreciated!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by AYHJA (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@AYHJA 

This is happening for Xerox - Extension - 7.208.0.0 and related apps, I am sure. 

Only option is to "Retry" while in Windows Update. Since, I do not use this app/extension at all and it was removed from the workstation, it should not be showing. It appears that it is pulling the past history for MSStore app or installation history. Also, I have no printers from Xerox showing as installed.

So I tried the following:

• I have tried purging the installation cache in the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore after a stop/start of the Windows Update Service. No Luck.
  • Stop/Start the Printer Server while checking for drivers and purged the DataStore again. No Luck.
  • Did a Windows Search for Print Server properties (Settings > Bluetooth & Devices > Printers and Scanners > Scroll to bottom for Related Settings) and found that the Xerox Driver Packages were installed and was able to remove them along with the installation package software. Success!

Once they were removed, I was able to run/retry Windows 11 Update without any issues.

Good Luck!

I remember a time when I would have had the time to figure this stuff out myself. Godspeed to you @PicklebrainIAH

I didn't have the patience, so I just removed every printer driver except the one that is hooked to my PC. Refreshed my WU and problem solved. I'm not sure which one of the drivers it was, but it wasn't the most important one.

To anyone else having this issue, you can CTRL+Select more than one driver and just remove all of them at once. Figured that out about 6 drivers in.
Thanks @PickebrainIAH - that worked perfectly, I just needed to click the Administrative "Change Driver Settings" button first before removing the drivers from the driver tab, as when I tried without that, I got a half-removal.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AYHJA (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@AYHJA 

This is happening for Xerox - Extension - 7.208.0.0 and related apps, I am sure. 

Only option is to "Retry" while in Windows Update. Since, I do not use this app/extension at all and it was removed from the workstation, it should not be showing. It appears that it is pulling the past history for MSStore app or installation history. Also, I have no printers from Xerox showing as installed.

So I tried the following:

• I have tried purging the installation cache in the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore after a stop/start of the Windows Update Service. No Luck.
  • Stop/Start the Printer Server while checking for drivers and purged the DataStore again. No Luck.
  • Did a Windows Search for Print Server properties (Settings > Bluetooth & Devices > Printers and Scanners > Scroll to bottom for Related Settings) and found that the Xerox Driver Packages were installed and was able to remove them along with the installation package software. Success!

Once they were removed, I was able to run/retry Windows 11 Update without any issues.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post