Windows update error 0x800f081f

Copper Contributor

Hi, so I haven't been able to update my laptop the past 2 months I would say, because of that error code. I am Trying to install 2021-10 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5006738), and it gets to "Status: Installing - 100%" and then it sits there for about 10-15 minutes which then it gives me the error. Also it says "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." In red. 

My Windows Spec: 

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 21H1

OS Build: 19043.1151

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

I have already looked everywhere on here, and I came across a different post, and someone had mentioned like 3 different things to try, which I tried all 3 and still did not work.  I've also looked it up on google, and tried a few things people mention there. But still no luck.

Also this is my first time posting here, so I apologize if I did something wrong. 

14 Replies

@JeffyEpstein 

I have the same problem: 2021-10 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB5006738)

We couldn't install this update, but you can try again. (ox80070026.

Is there any point?

I may reinstall windows, but I'm not sure if I can keep most of my programs that I already have installed. If I'm not able to, I guess I'm SoL @DaveO1110 

@JeffyEpstein  Hi

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Unfortunately, a clean installation removes everything and reinstalls the system!

Have you tried downloading the update assistant?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you click update now your files and applications will remain on the disk.

Best regards

I just tried, and it says "Congratulations you have updated Windows 10"
But then i go to my settings and go to update windows, and it still shows I have same update I have been trouble trying to install.
And did you perform a reboot?

My update finally went in, then I downloaded and installed Windows 11, no more hassles. - (so far.)

@DaveO1110 

I am also experiencing the same problem, can you please tell me how did you get rid of it.Screenshot 2021-11-02 131844.jpg

There was another update available for the NET framework, after that installed, the other update then went in, so I can only assume it needed that update before the last one.

@DaveO1110 how did u got that NET framework update from??

@B_M41 

Hello, you can try to download manually, but you have to choose the right file , for the Windows version - If you have 21H1 , or 20H2 - you need to check it!

of course, search in your language.  

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=5006365

It just came when I made an Update check. Often It says you are up to date, then when you tell it to check, it finds more updates!
Same problem as in the original post.
I went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
and selected the Update Now button for the 'Windows 10 November 2021 Update'
which updated me to 21H2 without any issues.
Thank you for confirming that it works = it helps others!