Windows Subsystem for Linux Preview Can't Find the File Specified

Copper Contributor

I downloaded the Windows Subsystem for Linux Preview from the Microsoft Store last year, and it said "The system cannot find the file specified." I downloaded the update today, and it said the same thing. What am I missing? I already left feedback on the Feedback Hub 2 months ago. 

Windows_Subsystem_for_Linux_Preview_Error_Message.png

11 Replies

@philthethrill 

I guess uninstall the Windows Store option and install it using Turn Windows Features on or off?

Harm_Veenstra_0-1642940558666.png

I already had Windows Subsystem for Linux installed long before the Windows Store option became available. Any other suggestions?
https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/7626

- Make sure that File Explorer is set to show hidden and system files.
- Open File Explorer to C:\Program Files\
- Right-click WindowsApps and open properties, then open the advanced security options.
- Remove any specific user accounts (usually with Full Control) from the list and click Apply.
- Click "Change" next to the "Owner:" line and accept the UAC dialog.
- Paste NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller into the box, then click "Check Names" and OK.
- Check the box next to "Replace owner on subcontianers and objects" and click OK.
- In an elevated PowerShell window, run Remove-AppxPackage (get-appxpackage MicrosoftCorporationII.WindowsSubsystemforLinux -Allusers) -AllUsers
- Reinstall the WSL Preview app from the Microsoft Store https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-subsystem-for-linux-preview/9p9tqf7mrm4r
- To check the permissions, run get-acl "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MicrosoftCorporationII.WindowsSubsystemforLinux_0.48.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\wsl.exe" | Format-List and make sure that it is owned by NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller and that your user account does not have access.

@Harm_Veenstra I followed the steps until I got to the part where I can reinstall WSL Preview, but I can't install it. It says, "There has been an error." When I click on see details, it gave me an error code: 0x80070005. Not only that, I can't update any of the apps from the Microsoft Store. For every app that I try to update, it says, "Something happened on our end." It's been like this ever since I followed the steps to change ownership in WindowsApps. I did that on February 8. I didn't have time until then to try it to see if it makes a difference with the WSL Preview app. 

2022-02-13.png

2022-02-13 (1).png

2022-02-13 (2).png

Ok, so the Store has issues itself perhaps? You could try:

Launch The Built-In Windows Troubleshooter:
- Go to Settings.
- Then click on Update and Security.
- Then click on Troubleshooting.
- Go to Advanced Troubleshooting.
- Select Microsoft Store apps.
- Launch them and let the program run.
I did that. It changed the location of temporary files, and it suggested that I reset the apps. I did that, but I'm still having issues with downloading and updating apps. Any other suggestions?
Log off Windows Store and log in again? And you could try running wsreset.exe?
I tried both of those options. I'm still having issues with downloading and updating apps. Is my copy of Windows 11 that I have through the Windows Insider Program faulty? Should I do a reset?
A reset or a complete wipe even perhaps, should fix it but back-up first :grinning_face_with_sweat:

Hello,
Have you tried to install the standard version by using wsl or bash command? To verify whether this version works normally...

I have WSL installed, and I got the WSLg preview update on Thursday from Windows Update. I have tried different Linux terminal apps from the Microsoft Store like Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and Pengwin, and all of them work really well.

After the latest Windows Update, I was able to download and update apps in the Microsoft Store, but the WSL preview app still gives me the same error message that it can't find the file specified.