WINDOWS 11 wont let me set pin

Copper Contributor

Okay so at first I couldn't update to the new 11 beta version. Eventually had to reset my computer, after going through hell with that, now I can't set up a pin or anything,  but it says that I am updated to the newest version. What the heck do I do to fix the not letting me set up a pin?

19 Replies
Hello,

See if this fix helps you (also works on Windows 11):

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-pin-not-working-in-windows-10

Let me know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Hi @Kapil Arya 

I have tried all of your fixes included in the blog post (and other linked posts):

[FIX] PIN Not Working In Windows 10 (kapilarya.com)

[FIX] Can't Add Sign-in PIN For Windows 10 (kapilarya.com)

None have resulted in my being able to set a sign-in PIN.

matttwyman_0-1655253600938.png

For months I've been using a PIN and then suddenly it stopped working.  I don't know how to tell if this coincided with a particular update.   

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎4/‎7/‎2022
OS build 22000.613
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.675.0

I am logged into two Microsoft accounts (personal and school).  That has never been a problem but I don't know if that could have something to do with it.

Matt

Since yesterday I have the exact same behavior. Version 21H2 (OS Build 22000.739).

When I try to set the pin (see images). I select set pin, press Next, then the dialog with "Just a moment" pops up, after approx. 30 seconds the dialog is getting closed. (Tried it several times)

setpin2.pngsetpin1.png

Finally I was able to solve the problem:

1. Open "Start" on Windows 11
  2. Search for "netplwiz" -> Run cmd
  3. Disable the login: uncheck marked checkbox
  4. Restart Windows
  5. After restart, lock your screen (Windows + L)
  6. Unlock, After entering your Microsoft password you are prompted with the PIN Dialog, set your desired pin.
  7. Restart again -> This time you can use the PIN from the previous step
  8. Check unchecked password checkbox again (step 1-3)

disableLogin.png

This worked for me.

@Kraego Hi I am facing the following issue.

I tried to log on to my Microsoft account. After entering my user and password it is asked to set up a PIN.  I select set pin, press Next, then the dialog says there is an error try again and then it is  closed. (Tried it several times). Could you kindly help me pls!

@Maria_Varela I have the same issue… do you have a resolution yet please?? 

Have you tried to reset windows 11 from recovery option, try once with your user files and again if not successful without user files.

@Kraego  what do you do when that check box is missing? i can find no way to bring it back.

@ds1235 Try removing any work/school email that is in use on your device.

Settings > Accounts > Access work or school.

Then select all accounts there (if any) and click "Disconnect"

Then try setting up your pin, it worked for me just now.

Mini pc with pre-installed windows11 pro  asking for pin should my pin for window 10 home on old pc work ? @dev-dutt 

@jhjack1881 when your new windows pc was setting up the first time, you must have entered your Microsoft account details for login, therefore you should be able to login with old PC pin however if you can’t please press shift and restart from bottom right option at the logon screen and reset the new PC.

My old Hp desk top had a 6digit pin so I change it to 4. After answering each set up question I arrived at a screen showing a dark blue shield with white key 4 dark blue dots and a green square with white unlocked padlock with a request to enter pin.
No number worked so I clicked on next and ended up with frozen screen with no way to go forward or back. Repeating same after reset.
Email to service agent failed so have emailed UK agent.
Jack.

A son in law came round and arrived at same conclusion as me but after discussion we connected a wi-fi cable and the full set up procedure came up. 
Now connected to Windows 11 pro and going through updates. The original instructions are so brief and said only to connect HDMI cable which threw me , it’s an “ age “ thing.

Thanks for your help,,

Jack.

Hi, my issue is a little different.
i jus installed windows 11 few days back and created a local account instead of the online one.
After i was done with the installation i created a log in password and then tried to create a pin so it will be easier to log in without entering the complex password.
whenever i click on the add pin tab it will ask me to enter my password and then nothing happen.
i hope that i dont need to reset my laptop again.

@Kraego thank you!  This worked! Omg I was getting desperate. What a frustrating circle to be in.

same issue any update ?

@OMGNOW when I bought my old desktop pc years ago it was all setup with supporting discs provided just had to plug in;. How wrong  to expect same when purchasing online.

The SNUNMU Mini Pc I bought Oct 22 pre-installed with Windows 11 Pro 21/H2 with the system in Audit Mode which is I understand is what makers use when installing Windows on a batch of PCs at a time.

After previously mentioned problems I eventually had Windows 11 Pro installed even downloading updates except for 22/H2. After a few attempts I received message “ Code Violation” ( extradition to the USA ? ) this as I understand it because the PC build was in 2021 with all the software and drivers at that time and although some updates had be done as above obviously not complete.

The Pc updated drivers and software including 22/H2 and more recent updates and works well except asks for password which I am happy to do because everything else works perfectly

Jack.

Updating my earlier comments I realise that I had not even tried to set a pin.since successfully updating drivers and software so just tried settings, accounts and sign-in options and now have my old pin back as well as password and fingerprint.

It seems a good way forward is to make sure your Drivers and Software are fully up to date first.

Jack

The solutions found on most websites for this problem didn't work for me. It turned out that I had to disable TPM in the BIOS to get Windows Hello for Business to start working again.