SOLVED

Windows 11 Windows Explorer issue

Brass Contributor

I updated windows 11 and when my pc restarted, my taskbar was completely blank and I can't open my start menu or file explorer. I can't even use the windows key + i shortcut to go back a version. Windows key doesn't work at all. No start menu button either

AerialSong_2-1630627538106.png

47 Replies
Hi, I used uninstall last feature option in my case returned to windows 11 not 10. But I already had a long time ago 11 installed.
Same problem here also. I upgraded from 10 to 11 on the day of release on my brand new HP Laptop. It worked fine for one and half months. Oneday, suddenly one of the usb port stopped working and after two days it started functioning again. But now my Taskbar is absolutely empty and explorer is not working. I tried rebooting in safe mode. No use.
For what it's worth this is to be expected at times. These are Dev and/or Beta builds. There will be bugs, glitches, unstableness at times with some of these builds. Microsoft is pretty clear about this when joining Insider Program.
Thanks, it worked a treat.

I have a solution for this

Official fix from Microsoft##

Recently, Windows Insiders in both the Dev and Beta Channels began reporting that Start and Taskbar were unresponsive and Settings and other areas of the OS wouldn’t load. We quickly discovered an issue with a server-side deployment that went out to Insiders and canceled that deployment. If you were impacted by this issue, you can use the following steps to get back into a working state on your PC.

• Step 1: Use CTRL-ALT-DEL and choose to open Task Manager.

• Step 2: Choose “More details” at the bottom of Task Manager to expand Task Manager.

• Step 3: Go to “File” and choose “Run new task”.

• Step 4: Type “cmd” in the “Open” field.

• Step 5: Paste the following: reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0

• Step 6: Hit enter, and then your PC should reboot. After rebooting, everything should be back to normal. Additionally, we will be rolling out a new server-side deployment that will automatically fix Insiders in this state over the next few hours.

https://twitter.com/windowsinsider/status/1433615378362503177

Is there anyone who knows if this would work with search bar in Explorer not working in Windows 10? I just got a new dell 15 5515 laptop, went through the setup (that uses Cortana), and when I came out of it I couldn't use the search box in the taskbar. I've tried all the internet solutions I can find but none have worked (SearchUI is missing from task manager so I can't restart it, ctfmon.exe restart not working, various regedits, nothing working). Thanks fpr any guidance.

@hallowieners 

I face same issue. Does it cause any further issue to the computer? Could any one help to fix it? 

Hi, I recently upgraded my Windows 10 to Windows 11. Everything is fine but sometimes when I open tabs in google chrome to explore websites, it hangs. And nothing runs. The only thing, I have to restart my PC. Is there any solution? Or it happens only with me.