Windows 11 upgrade - No taskbar.

Copper Contributor

After upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11, the taskbar is empty. No icons, no access to several key programs. For several weeks I was able to re-initiate the taskbar by loading Task Manager, ending the Windows Explorer task and then running explorer.exe from File|Run new task. This no longer functions. 

I have tried uninstalling the Windows 11 security update as suggested elsewhere but this does not seem to cause any change in the situation. 

In the past when I could still re-initiate the taskbar, it would often flash to Sunset lighting as if it suddenly recognized that the time and then the icons would appear. 

To be clear, the taskbar is not hidden or in tiny mode. It is present but empty. I regret upgrading to Windows 11. 

2 Replies
Hello,

Suggest you to run System File Checker scan:

1. Search for 'command prompt' using Cortana or Windows Search.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

If issue still persists, perform clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Let us know if this helps!
Thank you for the reply.

I ran System File Checker and it showed no errors on verification.

I then did a series of clean boots as suggested. The taskbar DOES show up when I go to clean boot but, it completely disables my wifi adapter as so the machine becomes unusable. I have not been able to find a solution where the taskbar appears but I can still have the wifi adapter function.