SOLVED

Windows 11 Update Failed, then Windows Update failed

Brass Contributor

I was just offered the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 11 in the Release Preview Channel. I gladly accepted the offer. The upgrade downloaded, then installed (seemingly 100%), and then rebooted. Windows came back up and it looked exactly the same as before. I checked Windows Update and I was again offered the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 11. I again accepted the offer, the upgrade downloaded, and the machine rebooted. When it came back up I wasn't surprised - the machine was still a Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1263) machine.
I then tried a simple Windows Update, and rather than finding any updates Windows Update encountered an error. I retried finding updates many times, but I continued to get the error (0xc1900101). The option to upgrade to Windows 11 has disappeared.
I read that it might help to unplug attached devices. I did that for all but my mouse and keyboard and rebooted. Tried doing Windows Update again and got the same error (0xc1900101).
I went to the Insider Program, clicked on "Get Help," opened a chat, and then was directed to post here. Hope someone can help.
My machine is an Intel NUC with Core i7-10710 processor and 64 GB of RAM. It has Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0.

82 Replies
Dev version. is not stable - quickly switch to the one you were on.

@_RBL_ I have selected the Release Preview Channel. I downloaded the ISO (Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_x64_en-us__19044.iso), but when clicking on it I receive the following message:

ISO.png

If I try to right click on the file then file explorer will restart.  Do I need to go out and buy some writable DVDs?

I have been offered this by Windows Update. I thought that as a participant in the Release Preview Channel I would only be offered stable Windows 11 versions.
I have not changed to the Dev Channel of Windows Insider! I was following _RBL_ 's suggestion to get dev tools turned on so I can turn on the allow usb connections option. I have always been part of the Release Preview Channel.
I'm going to look into it more. You should be able to download it and mount the drive and jnstall
I don't understand why you're doing this?
After all, you want to have Windows11.
The insider program has .iso files for Windows 11 for the Dev and Beta channels - but not the Release Preview Channel. I downloaded the only available .iso for my channel.
I ran sfc /scannow and the program found errors and fixed them with a reboot. I ran sfc /scannow again and conformed all was fixed.

Ran the offered upgrade to Windows 11 again and, as before, all appeared to install BUT nothing actually happened. (This is getting boring.) I then tried doing a simple update and guess what? The update failed. (I thought that was fixed.) Same old 0xc1900101 error. Retried the simple update (not the upgrade) several times - no luck, still the old error code. Just to check and see, I once again ran sfc /scannow and found no errors there.
Because your computer is currently working fine, so
do not force optional updates, October 5 is close!

Unfortunately that may be the only way to go. It will be chaos if October 5 comes, the problem isn't fixed, and many more Windows 10 users than just me will have this problem....
Is there an after-market ISO mount program? I know that mounting ISO files is supposed to be built into Windows 10, but it's not working here.
Also, has anyone kept a list of third-party programs that might interfere with the Windows 11 upgrade? Are there any "offensive" third-party programs that you know about?

Please try to update the BIOS - go to the support of the computer manufacturer and download the required drivers :)

I regularly use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant for my NUC. It is always updated to the latest BIOS. I just checked again, and it does have the latest BIOS.  (0053  //  Date: 7/7/2021.)

Then uninstall it and try to update it - write what do you think?

@A1 

@A1 wrote:
Then uninstall it and try to update it - write what do you think?

What is "IT"?  The OS?  Intel's Driver Support Assistant?  Something else? This isn't what "regular" Microsoft users will have to do is it?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Downloading media creation tools is also a solution idea - you can update while keeping your personal files
I assume that on October 5 there will be media creation tools for Windows 11 too, correct? Perhaps that might be located at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11?
Of course, I wrote about the Intel assistant.
The assistant has the highest privileges and perhaps the process does not close when trying to migrate, but other programs can also cause conflict.

@A1 wrote:
Of course, I wrote about the Intel assistant.
The assistant has the highest privileges and perhaps the process does not close when trying to migrate, but other programs can also cause conflict.

Whoa!  If that is true, and Microsoft doesn't do something about it, there will be chaos on October 5.

I'll uninstall and re-install as you suggest.  If it helps I'll make a celebratory post here.  (I doubt it will, since I've never had a problem with the Intel product.)