Windows 11 Update and PC health check app

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I downloaded and run PC health check so to be sure if the upcoming windows update can be installed.

Unfortunately -and surprisingly- the app says "your PC doesn't meet WIN 11 system requirements".

As I can see everything is fine except the processor.  My processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01GHz. 

Why my i7 processor is not ok for the update? 

I went online to check about the processors that they are compatible with the WIN 11 update and saw that in the list are intel I3, I4, I5, I7 (except my model), i8, etc

Could anyone please let me know?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies

Only Intel processors after 7th generation (selective 3 models) and 8th generation are compatible for Windows 11. 

Read more in this post: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/27/update-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirement...

Your Intel processor is 6th generation which is not compatible. As per Microsoft, you can continue using Windows 10, which is supported through 2025.

Hi Kapil and thanks for your reply.

I had already checked the system requirements and processors for Windows 11.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-inte...

I haven't understood all about the generations. That is a huge pity. As I can see there are i3 processors and i5 in the list, which are older than mine. But because of their generation are compatible??

I am really disappointed.
Will there be any change in the future about the 6th generation to be included or not?

Yes, it's truly a shame that seemingly lesser-equipped processors are included in the upgrade list while those that are better able to handle the processing load are left off the list only due to being 6th generation. Just a shame.
I am in the same situation, with a laptop that I bought in 2016.
PC Health check ticks every box, except for the processor, which is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz in an Asus Laptop!!
I have W11, on a CD, with a new SSD, which I planned to install, keeping my original W10 OS intact, in case things went pear shaped. Given this situation, I am tempted to 'suck it and see', as nothing would be lost, except a bit of time.
I would be interested in any comments and I will give some feedback on successes or failures!!
Best Wishes
Harry H
On re-examining, the above post, I realised the processor is no where near compatible to W11 so, it is back to the drawing board.
I should have noticed this before submitting the above but, I guess that I was too focussed on the i7 bit of the number.
With apologies. Harry H