SOLVED

Windows 11 sound problem

Copper Contributor

since i upgraded to windows 11, my laptop has no sound. I was trying update and reinstalling my sound driver but its still not working.

104 Replies
For almost a year now., every other Windows 11 update messes with the sound settings.

I have a virtual studio setup here, and it is a ball-ache spending an hr, re-configuring sound channels and virtual cables on each update. Some updates don't even touch on the sound configuration - but there it is, messed up again after an update!

I can also confirm, other users I know who have Virtual studios setup (with a large variety of different software to my own) also have the same issue.

Not sure if MS will address this though. Be nice if they did.

@Wretham I have just had the same problems. I am using DEV channel builds, and I have been having the sound problem on my Asus Vivobook laptop as well, seems to be an Asus problem?

Anyway I took one of the above solutions and it worked. I was all ready to install an old release build, but I tried loading the generic Microsoft driver and problem solved. If you have this problem, go to Device Manager and go down to Sound, Video and Game controllers, find the Realtek(R) Audio, click update driver, and choose the first option that just says "High Definition Audio Device" and install that, and then test your sound. Mine came right back, no need to reset or reinstall. 

@dseufert I gave up on 11 for now and clean installed the latest 10 21H2 or 21H2 don't remember which and not at PC.  Ty for the info anyway.  Trying to let MS get it a little more stable b4 I try a clean install of 11.  Unsupported PC doesn't make it easier.   Main issue is my 2600k. 2nd gen. proc. on a 3rd gen board. Asrock Z77 Extreme4.  No SSD either but that's easily fixed.  Built this rig when Ivy dropped and Sandy's prices dropped drastically.  EVGA 1060 6gb running on only 2 lanes but you really can't tell.  Doesn't bottleneck surprisingly.  Intel built a brick s-house with the 2600k.  Had it upto 4.9Ghz on a H70.  Now 24/7 @4.4Ghz. Awesome chip. My PC never shuts down.

@Brian C Dude, if that's your attitude, I don't know why you're an Insider. We're using development builds, you're supposed to expect issues and tell MS about it and if you're like me, you want the latest builds and you like fixing issues. There is clearly an issue but there are ways around it, I love finding those answers myself. Glad you are happy with your previous stable build, but don't expect stability with developmental builds. This is obviously a difficult issue in the development process, don't think they aren't trying to find a solution, especially for issues mostly with Asus hardware, maybe a few other PC makers, but read this thread, there are lots of Insiders, probably the majority, either don't have the problem or they got around it and posted it. My new build is beautiful now. 

I must add though, it wasn't the generic driver replacement that fixed it, because I just installed the newest dev build (had to use USB drive) and the generic driver wasn't it. It is some kind of power issue as a previous poster said, I used the press and hold the start button for 30 seconds, let up, then press the power button once to start it. Sound works.