SOLVED

Windows 11 sound problem

Copper Contributor

since i upgraded to windows 11, my laptop has no sound. I was trying update and reinstalling my sound driver but its still not working.

104 Replies

@thirsty_foodie 

Hi all,

same problem here with my ASUS Zenbook 14 since 7.Nov. upgrade to Win 11 - no sound from inbuilt loudspeakers, microphone not working either. I tried all the solutions suggested here in the thread, and other options from MS and ASUS tech support, incl realteck driver update(s) and rolling back to Win 10. No success...! 

Now I'm back to Win 11 with a still-silent laptop, hoping for miracles or a smart community member to come up with a fix. Hope springs eternally...

Having the same issue with my Hp laptop running a fifth-gen ryzen 5 processor and Realtek audio driver no solution so far. external speaker was not detected. hope Microsoft or Realtek provide a patch soon.

@HenryYang 

How to troubleshoot No Sounds problem on Windows 11

https://youtu.be/IctbYUPxzXg

In this step-by-step tutorial, learn How to Fix No Sounds on Windows 11. If you like the video, then please like and share the video. Do subscribe and support the channel. It motivates me to create more contents. Thank you...!! This video is for teaching and helping purposes, My goal is to help ...

@PositiveEnergy  TBH the windows trouble shooters are pretty Meh :sad:

I have sound But I dont have my headphone socket working and no matter how many updates are sent it has still not been fixed .

It has been the same since I have been on Insider win11 on its first outing, my Headphones are greyed out :unamused:

I had this problem and I couldn't figure it out. No sound from speakers, some sound from headphones and full sound from Bluetooth headphones. I disabled all enhancements and it's all back.

I have same issue. HP EliteBook 745 with Ryzen 5 CPU. No speakers or headphones detected. I made sure BIOS was up to date.  Audio enhancements were never enabled and still aren't. I disabled Bluetooth to test and made no difference. For a while I could use the HP Support assistant's built-in troubleshooter to repair and sound would return briefly. Sound would be gone again after laptop was not used for short period of time.  The support assistant troubleshooter doesn't work anymore. I checked HP website and no drivers available for Windows 11.  I am out of ideas!

I just checked and there was a Windows cumulative preview update available so I installed it. KB5007292 - After reboot my sound has returned! I wonder for how long...
Well that success was short lived. 5 minutes after sound returned it is gone again.

Re install windows 11  from your drive  and  don't forget to  delete the window drive and all its related backups partitions before installing your windows again.  (it solved my no audio problem or no audio device connected  ) Monte_Duncan 

done this already :( fresh install from windows USB did not work

did you fomat the MSR(reserved) and recovery  before installing windows ?@Ron Willsher 

Oh yes

It seems I have been able to remediate my sound issues by changing from the Realtek High Definition Audio driver to the High Definition Audio Device. Before this, I would lose sound, run a repair, sound would return and then 10 minutes later be gone again. After several days of struggling with that I decided to abandon the Realtek diver (since there was no Windows 11 Realtek driver) and go with the only other compatible hardware alternative that I could find on my HP 745-G6 Laptop - the High Definition Audio Device. Since using this driver, sound has now remained constantly available.

Monte_Duncan_0-1639539575653.png

Right , I have just done Full reinstall Formated M2 before Install from USB .
Every thing correct except Headphones still dont work when plugged into sound card :(
Asus Xonar AE , removed card shut down restart .
turn off and Put card into MB restart reinstall software Latest ! restart and POW still NO headphones :( only way to get to work is splitter cable from Speaker output ?

@Monte_Duncan Thank you, this worked for me too. :smile:

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon 7th generation, Windows 11. I lost sound from the laptop's speakers after updating to a Realtek HD audio driver; I might have done this with DriverBooster or Windows Update. The headphone jack continued to work.

I got the speakers' sound to work again by doing the following: 

• First, I defaulted back to Microsoft's basic driver called "High Definition Audio Device Version. 10.0.22000.1 [05/06/2021]". This delivered very basic, weird sounding audio. Also, the microsphone would not work.
  • I then downloaded Lenovo's Realtek HD audio driver: 6.0.8854.1. I installed it via:
    • Hardware Manager - Sound, video and game controllers - High Definition Audio
    • Click on "Update Driver", then "Browse my computer for drivers" - "Let met pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
    • Untick "Show compatible hardware"
    • Select "Realtek" under Manufacturer
    • Select "Realtek High Definition Audio(SST) Version 6.0.8854.1 [03/12/2019]"

I am not using "Realtek High Definition Audio(SST) Version 6.0.9025.1 [13/07/2021]".

@HenryYang 

I have also experienced the same problem in my Lenovo Ideapad 3. You can resolve the issue in the Lenovo laptop as follows:

device manager> Sound, video and game controllers > Realtek (R) audio> Properties> Driver > Roll back driver

Several users are reporting sound and audio problems in the new Windows11 update. Below a few methods will be listed on how you can resolve this issue.

• Consider using a different audio format.
  • Or check device Manger. The device manager is able to display information on all hardware devices installed in your system.

If the above solutions do not work, then you should consider reading a more comprehensive guide about Windows 11 audio, and sound fixes here.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/troubleshoot-windows-10-audio-sound-problems.

I have tried everything going as Windows says , BUT the same thing happened on the Upgrade to Win10 , Exactly the same problem .
The only answer was to Buy a new sound card :( :(
£50 if you want to buy the one I have https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Sound-Cards/Gaming/Xonar-AE/
I found that with downloading the audio drivers for my ASUS Z490-E Gaming board, it installed two other Asus apps, Sonic Studio and Sonic radar. In the needed app, Realtek Audio Control, I had to unchecked the option for "turn on sound effects." This disabled the use of the Sonic apps and my audio came through. Apparently, Windows doesnt like the Asus sonic apps.
I have over 4 million page faults in sound mixer. Any ideas?