Windows 11 should restore taskbar location option

Brass Contributor

Just switched to the Win11

I have been using the right-hand side taskbar since windows 7.

This stems from the screens aspect ratio, which allows for plenty of sideways view, allowing to maximize the vertical view. which for all visual work/ excel/ reading digital docs etc.. is invaluable.

I know from youtube that I'm not the only or first to bring this up, but it would mean a lot if Microsoft enables this.

ps -If Microsoft team for win11 can also enable grouping of pinned icons, it would also be very conducive, since it can give me "a view at a glance" of all of my important software, arranged by groups which mean something to me as opposed to a varying separate icons in random rows ad several pages which I now have to scroll through in search of what I want/ need to do my work.

Both changes, I'm quit sure will be very welcome by all win11 users and will help advance this eddition of windows.

7 Replies
Thank you for your feedback, which I support!
I wholeheartedly agree that continued support for a vertical taskbar will be welcomed by a lot of old Win 10 users.
This issue is important enough that I may revert back to Windows 10. Please allow vertical taskbars...

Thank you for your suggestion. The aspect ratio you mentioned is the key reason I preferred having my taskbar on the side.

I'll add, although i like the flexibility of centering the icons or moving them to the Left, but I'd be willing to suspend that (temporarily) in exchange for the ability to place the taskbar vertically to the right..

TOTALLY AGREE - I tried making the change in the register but then the taskbar was blank and only changed it on the main screen, not on my other two monitors - As a workaround, I am turning the taskbar off on two monitors and only going to have it on the main - TOTALLY ILLOGICAL to have the taskbar on the bottom with aspect ratio - no idea if MS dev team reads this but I hope they fix it soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please add the ability to move the taskbar to Windows 11. It was there in Windows 10 (and previous Windows versions).

Anyone who is a serious developer would have evolved to using the vertical taskbar long ago, and the fact that Microsoft GUI team feels free to remove such a feature without warning to developers is a serious disservice to their community.

It just says to me that people that develop their UI don't understand the benefits of the vertical taskbar, especially when we are working with 20-30 open windows at a time, with documents, terminal sessions, visual studio, other productivity tools (editors, powerpoint, visio) all at the same time. When they are stacked vertically, I can so much more quickly identify the window I want to bring to the top, without having to alt-tab...