Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.100 (co_release) - No Error but only black screen not desktop

Copper Contributor

Twice now, I've spent hours doing the full update (on Beta), and it seems to work fine. But after I put in my PIN and it loads the desktop, all I see is a black screen, except for a floating Language Bar. No keyboard shortcuts respond, except for CTRL-ALT-DEL. Not even the Start button. Both times I've had to restart and go in and uninstall the update. Can't find anyone else posting about this problem, but I need help because it's going to keep telling me I need to install it. Thanks.

6 Replies
It is possible your graphics drivers are not up to date. What Gfx do you have? AMD, Nvidia, Intel? Go to their Support pages and compare your driver version to what they have.

Have the same issue since Win11 was released on the dev channel on my iMac (2014) and my Mate Book (2020)...

The iMach is pretty old and has AMD Grahics Card (BootCamp drivers)

The Matebook has AMD Ryzen 7...

Maybe it is related to AMD, because the MateBook is pretty new and should work fine with Win11.

Drivers are all updated too... @CyberJolie 

I have AMD Ryzen 7 5800 with Vega graphics, and I don't have this issue.

@davequail Great advice about the updated graphics driver. I was able to get a newer driver, but after hours of running the update, I had the same black screen and had to uninstall the update yet again. I have AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx. After the update, the screen looks great on the lock screen, but after I put in my PIN, and it should open to my desktop, I have only the black screen with the language bar floating in the top right corner. Any more ideas, anyone? When we're in the beta group, do we have access to help troubleshooting from any actual Microsoft people?

So, you have the exact same result? A black screen except for the Language Bar floating? I had a bit of trouble updating my graphics card because my HP laptop swears I don't need a newer driver, and its list of possible graphics drivers for my laptop doesn't include the version of Windows I currently have (21H1). So I downloaded the newest stable driver from the AMD website. @davequail
I'm also having the exact same issue of "A black screen except for the Language Bar floating" on my Acer Aspire 5 laptop. As mentioned I tried updating the graphics drives through Run > devmgmt.msc but it did not help. Had to uninstall updates thrice after trying out every possible way but nothing worked.

My Gfx: Nvidia GeForce MX250