Windows 11 for 7th generation Intel

Copper Contributor

Hi, I have learned that Microsoft has excluded all Intel processors prior to 8th generation from their current Windows 11 upgrade. While it is a great way to make millions of PC's obsolete, it is a pain for 1. the customer (who, like myself, has invested more than $1k for a machine which will be obsolete after 5 years and therefore is a bad investment), and 2. for the environment (if you want to avoid climate change you shouldn't dump millions of machines, probably having them burnt in the open air in some 3rd world country). Of course, Intel and PC builders like to sell new gear, however they are basically admitting that their designs weren't future-proof and sustainable from the outset. I feel that Microsoft and Intel should have a closer look at customer satisfaction before they take such a short-sighted decision which renders good hardware useless without much value added. 

58 Replies

@chrisboo 

Thanks for the fast reply.

Patch Tuesday is always the second Tuesday of the month, some time after 12 noon EST. Hence, the day AFTER Aug 9th is when you can try to manually run your UPATES and then see what happens.

As far as OS build... the last numbers after the DOT should change after a reboot. For example, right now Win 10 Pro is on 19044.1865    (The 19044 prefix has not changed since last October.)

And this Win 10 Pro version just advanced today because I downloaded an optional update and then rebooted.

TTYL

I took a snapshot of your version post.. then went hunting on the internet using as a key phrase "win 11 versions.' Got great results. It seems that your version is the most current for Win 11.

Here is the link to the site that gave me a ton of info. Regardless, in about 9 days, please let me know your own personal results.

https://www.anoopcnair.com/windows-11-version-numbers-build-numbers-major/

@Nick08650 

according to this article you can download windows 11 iso, (at your own risk) direct from Microsoft
https://widget.rave.office.net/chat?partner=GetHelp&requestid=6eb7374c-dd67-48a6-8362-5979af241ae3

Jesus Kinder40.. what were you thinking?
I would NOT download ANYTHING other than from the official Microsoft download site. Odds are you already infected yourself with malware... which is fine by me, but do NOT poison everyone else with dangerous advice!

Every time there is a new OS version, I take a blank flash drive, visit the official MS site below and let the site create my Win loader here (you can also download the ISO)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The link I provided is an article that describes MS saying you can download the ISO and install at your own risk and gives a link to MS official site for the download of the ISO file, try reading

What an irresponsible, NON-ETHICAL, super unprofessional comeback, Kender. Like WHY would I even go to a non-MS site.... throw all common-sense to the wind... just to see if some stranger who broke the rules of common sense... to take his word... if the link was safe? 

HA! THAT IS EXACTLY HOW SCAMMERS BAIT PEOPLE ONLINE... as I have cleaned up the mess of over a hundred clients who followed the same kind of suggestion. They all went to some non-authorized site to get something.. that was never the real direct link for the product.

If you are giving advice to download content.. IN THIS FORUM.. you have zero excuse for indirect links... that may or may not.. or some time in the future... may be CLICK-BAIT for malware.

I stand by my statement. Any true pro would be thinking more clearly and have posted the direct link.

@NewsAngel 

Listen.  The article is there, if you are afraid to click links, unaware of how to install a  virus scanner, or unsure how to verify a link is safe, maybe you shouldn't be on the internet.  I could recommend a nice facility where they will wipe your mouth for you after you spill your soup.

If you really want a direct link to a M$ site I must assume you are incapable of using google so here you go
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11/

My "ancient" Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz went through an update this week. Here is what version is running on my system.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎4/‎25/‎2022
OS build 22000.856
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.856.0

I plan on building a "new" computer with an i5-10600k with 128 GB Ram, because I want to send my work emails even faster. Updates and shouldn't be an issue anymore. I think I will keep this rig around for kicks.

Hey! Thanks for your loyalty to this thread. Here is what I learned since we last spoke.

- Patch Tuesday came and went last week; all my PCs with Win 11 updated to .856
- All my 'non-qualified' Win 11 systems also updated to .856
- I have since done 6 non-qualified computers...

- One even older than yours; i5 Gen 2 on Gen 3 Mobo (Dell 9010 SFF)
- All systems run faster than when they had Win 10

I do have some suspicions. For example, when Win 11 22H2 comes out early October. (That's only in 1.5 months.)

After the 22H2 rollout, systems will randomly get a notice to upgrade the new version of Win 11. One of the big differences is that THIS version will run Android apps on the desktop.

But what about non-qualified systems running Win 11? It is possible the system will undergo another CPU and TPM version check from the cloud verify?

And if so, three things might happen. One is that the version check does not run because it is already a verified system and has Win 11. Then it upgrades to the new version without incident. The second is that it detects the non-qualifiers and refuses to install 22H2. And the third is that the entire system deactivates and you get the classic watermark on the desktop that the system is not activated.

I started hunting down other professionals writing articles about Win 11, because it seems I am helping people with this about five times a week and by October I might have 50 or so people hanging on the edge about what will happen.

Well, my elderly Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz seems to be updating Windows 11 just fine. I checked the latest OS build version and it says that it is the one below. I did finally buy an upgraded board and CPU (10600K), but this old codger keeps chugging along. 

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎8/‎25/‎2022
OS build 22000.978
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.978.0

Note that I can connect my android (as I did before through link to windows), and I can also access all of my apps. I don't need to use the Samsung app to do so. 

Hey there! A lot has happened since we last spoke. Yes, I have about 13 systems out there (my own and clients) who are trying out Win 11 2021 on machines ranging from 2nd to 7th gen. Patch Tuesday updates work naturally on all of them (so far, as I see and hear.)

Since that time.... I created flash drives that install Win 11 ISO onto any machine due to a bypass routine. Now the install process is identical to a normal install of a qualified machine. Take note this method requires a blank SSD.. or I must delete and recreate partitions during the setup.

Out in the wild, also found ways to alter the registry to get the upgrade to work on 'existing' operating systems. I have not tried those out yet. More interested in fresh installs, so that I do not inherit flaws, bugs and malware on those systems.

What will prove interesting is the new Win11 2022... whose ISO should be released on Sept 20 (in a few days.) I wonder what will happen to all these unsupported machines when the rolling updates reach them for the offer to try Win 11 2022.

Theories: if MS was smart, the updater would run a hardware test yet again, then disqualify the upgrade. It is also possible it would disqualify the upgrade PLUS put a watermark on the desktop of the non-qualified system. Finally, in a wonderful scenario, the updater does not re-check the system specs, gives the earlier install a free pass and then proceeds to update the entire OS.

Regardless, I still have to make new FLASH KEYS with the version check bypass... for the new Win 11 2022 ISO.

Finally, if you have not already heard, shortly after the ISO comes out, MS will start releasing updates now called 'moments' which either activate or deactivate features hidden in the new OS.

Like yourself i have an unsupported processor, namely i7-8620HQ, which minimum speed is 2.7Ghz, with turbo boost 3.2Ghz when necessary. I have installed Windows 11 and like yourself it rus as smooth as silk, i get all the updates with no worries . Like many that pay in acess of 1000 pounds for a professional pc it is expected not to change systems within a four year period or beyond unless something dramatic happens. All companies have to run at a profit however they can and Intel, microsoft & company must allow marginal processors to be included in their upgrades. This would allow pc and chip manufacturers, be a little mor eco friendly and offer a better reception by the end user.

Well, it seems like my old rig updated to the October 11, 2022, KB5018418 (OS Build 22000.1098). It's funny how this old machine keeps plugging along and and functioning just fine as a second PC for specific tasks and software. In fact, I use remote desktop to telnet (tee-hee) from my "new" desktop (intel i5-10600k) to this old fella (i7-3770 CPU), and it's working out just fine. The i7-3770 actually plays very well with Windows 11, and everything functions rather nicely. I am strictly business on both machines, so maybe my opinion would be different if I were a "gamer." I'm more of a Power bI / R studio user myself.

Anyway, I guess that I coulda waited a bit longer until 11600k chips dropped below $130 before "upgrading" so's I could get the most out of the Z590 board I bought. Maybe the 11400 would be better, since it doesn't run as hot. 

Oh well. Computers, huh?

Glad you are still reporting in on this issue. And I have to report on my end, this is now foreshadowing a possible upcoming problem that I mentioned way back. Fact: I now have about 20 systems that are running Win 11 and Win 11 2022... that are not officially qualified. And the machines what ARE qualified that run Win 11 (21H2) are NOT upgrading to the new 2022 version.

Considering that Win 11 is undergoing a controlled rollout, I give it two more months before I declare my Win11 'non-qualified' systems are hobbled to new version upgrades. This means that to give them upgrades, I would have to alter the registry or wipe the systems and start over.

As far as your choice of boards and CPUs, as a system builder of 30 years, I suggest you skip 11th gen entirely and go with an i3-12100f (if you have a nice graphics card) and an MSI Pro B600m-a DDR4 board. As far as SSDs, the Samsung 980 Pro and Samsung 980 (4th gen PCIEe) are tops, followed by PCIEe 3rd gen Samsung Evo 970 Plus (make sure you install the Samsung NVME driver for Win11) If you don't have graphic cards. the i3-12100 will run all 4 video parts off the board. In benchmarking, 12th gen cpus blow 11th gen equivalents out of the water.

@NewsAngel 

Good morning!

Recently did a clean install of the 21H2 Windows 11 Release and through the setup, it prompted me to upgrade to 22H2. (i7-6600u)

Though the windows update failed since it did the compatibility check window, it would be best if you use rufus.ie and bypass the requiments to do a in-place upgrade.

Anyways, I did a clean install of 22H2 and everything is great!

have a wonderful day!

Shawn

Yes, more or less your experience and my own are similar. I like to do clean installs with a bypass tool I created on a flash drive. Smooth and Elegant. However, as that I have sold a half dozen systems to people with Win 11 first version, sooner or later it will expire and I have to decide if I wipe and start over.. or just do the registry edit to allow it to upgrade naturally.

@Deleted 

Like you I have i7 Intel and not supported by win 11, used rufus and installed with no issues, likewise upgraded to latest version win 11 with rufus with in place upgrade all goes as smooth as silk. Plus the OS runs like a dream. So why i7 is not supported is beyond me. 

It has NOTING to do with i7. It has everything to do with the generation of CPU. 7th gen and less are not qualified. Shame on you for NOT reading all the prior posts! LOL
Actually clean installs not check for the generation of processors, as long it has a tpm 2.0 and everything else!

It's just the manual upgrade options are bit tricky though there is a easy registry edit to manually upgrade!

Have a wonderful day!
I cannot believe you are repeating information everyone else in here already knows. Stop adding information we already KNOW. Read previous posts and only speak up when you have something relevant to the thread. Thanks.