SOLVED

Windows 11 Facial recognition "Windows Hello

Copper Contributor

July 22, 2021

Los Angeles

Hello,

Today I got an update installed on Win 11. Facial Recognition "Windows Hello" stopped working suddenly. It says in the error statement that it is Unavailable. Everything worked fine when I left but not when I came back to the rig- (Surface Pro X and a loaded machine)

Went to settings and when I went to click on Windows Hello the program crashes (Settings) just dies on me. Camera works fine vid pics etc.  all seems ok thus far. Anyone else run into this problem? If yes any work around? 

39 Replies
Thanks for the suggestion. I installed as well, rebooted, and it didn't work. Then I tried removing the drivers again, rebooted, and it still crashes.

@erikiters 

Hey pal - thanks for the first work around-- In two hours i give it a go- if it works or doesn't I shoot you and then the room the end result - hope it works -- got used to the Hello s..t - Will give it a go thank you -- Joe 

@erikiters
You are the MAN!! Straight up truth-- Thank you
Joe
Thank you --
appreciate the smart help-
Joe
Hey in Win 11 the default size for the task bar was to large for my taste.
I used this link -- to resize it smaller the way i like it --Thought some of you
would find this useful - it is simple - so much so even i could do it -
Joe
https://www.lifewire.com/change-taskbar-size-in-windows-11-5190012
https://www.lifewire.com/change-taskbar-size-in-windows-11-5190012

link to resize the task bar smaller
Hey man thought you would find this useful- later
l

@Joe_Maria2280 Same problem on Surface Pro 7

Nice one. Simple fix and worked perfectly. :)
Worked for me too. Thanks, @erikiters!
Hi
the same day I on the message board Microsoft posted an update - which I still downloaded and had no problem(s) -- I would suggest you do the same
JM

@erikitersIt did not work in MSB

i have the same issue!
Also worked for me. Thanks!
I did that, a few times already, still not working.

The only difference now is when I go to Facial Recognition settings it doesn't say it's unavailable, but still crashes if I click on it.
Check and see if your window updates are "up to date"- the same night I got the fix-
Microsoft posted an update for this issue -
Yup, updates are 100% to date too.
Oh god, I'm facing this problem and it was solved after re-install the Windows Hello device driver.
Thank u very much, saves me.
thank you. Worked for me too.
The Facial Recognition works but the settings option still auto-close/crash the setting whenever I click on Settings/Accounts/SignInOptions/FacialRecognition. Not an issue currently but could be on the new setup,etc. Any idea how to fix that?
Did you install latest build 22000.120? It notes resolving this issue. After updating the settings no longer crashes. Tkx