Windows 11: Double taskbar profile icon when opening Chrome profile

Copper Contributor

I found a bug in Windows 11 when I opened a chrome profile, it shows up two profile icons instead of just one (see the screenshot). In Windows 10, it used to open with the bottom-right icon, but I think Windows 11 added a new place for the icon in the upper-right, but overlapping it with the old icon place instead of replacing it.

Device and OS Spesification:

• Edition: Windows 11 Enterprise
  • Version: 21H1
  • Build: 22000.100

Is it just for me or everyone else have the same problem? If so, I hope this bug can be fixed in the next update. Thank you.

19 Replies
Ditto.

Desktop PC
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit I.E. Build: 22000.120
Google Chrome Version: 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Try open start and search for feedback and open Feedback Hub app and report this issue.
Are you facing the same issue with the Microsoft Edge?
Try update Google Chrome to the latest version.

I also have got this bugs,
Try this way

1. Go to chrome://settings/manageProfile
2. enable create desktop shortcuts
3. Right click on desktop shortcuts
4. Properties
5. Change Icon to google chrome icon. icon location %ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Open your google chrome, now the profile icon is no longer double

Screenshot 2021-10-20 121440.png

Thanks! This worked perfectly.

@rizalfauzi Thanks this does work but when I delete the icon from my desktop the issue returns? Any ideas? Thanks

@rizalfauzi Sorry for the double response but I just found a slight tweak to your method that seems to work without the need to create the desktop shortcut.

1. Right click on taskbar icon 

2. Right click on Google profile in menu list
3. Properties
4. Change Icon to google chrome icon. icon location %ProgramFiles%\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Seems to work but I'll report back if I have any issues.

@hellodee12345 

Right click on taskbar

Got to taskbar settings

Scroll down to taskbar behaviors

untick "show badges (unread message counter) on taskbar apps..."

Works for me, thank you.
I do have the same problem as you. I searched online to fix this bug I couldn't find a solution so I hope Google will fix this problem also. It doesn't look good. I just updated my Windows OS to 11.
Thanks, works well enough for Google to never fix ;)
This works, and you can tuck the shortcuts away in another folder so you don't have to see them,

kemprp_0-1678258073597.png

YES! This is the solution to get rid of the 2nd profile icon (avatar)!

@kemprp 

Hello,

This worked for me. But I have two separate Chrome accounts for work and personal, and I realized when opening my personal account that my Google account icon/badge no longer shows. So my question is: if badges were turned off, what is the remaining icon on my Chrome taskbar and why is it still on, but my personal one isn't?

@MikeMcDoo Good question - I have not experienced this and I'm unable to assist. Best wishes! 

@rizalfauzi Your solution worked for me. Thank you!