SOLVED

Windows 11 Different desktop icons per virtual desktop

Copper Contributor

Hi,

No idea if this gets read, but if somebody is reading it now in Microsoft Development, me and many other Windows users would be made up to see virtual desktops that each host their own selection of icons. One for work, one for play, another for the kids etc ..

I asked Chat GPT and it said this is easy to do. It then told me a joke about a restaurant that had 10 tables for up to 10 families. It ordered fish and chips for dinner, and suddenly, all the other tables has fish 'n' chips on them. A bit like your icons system. Great gag GPT. Haha

Thanks for your consideration of this vital feature that could change the lives of so many. Rob :)

8 Replies
I understand you are requesting a new feature for Windows.
Would you mind elaborate in details?
It is better to submit a feedback using the Feedback Hub app.

@Reza_Ameri 

Hi, and thanks for the reply. In a bit more detail, this would be a game changer for a hell of a lot of Windows users :

Quick version:

=========

Could we have virtual desktops that treat icons the same way as physical multiple screens do, and hold their own sets of icons?

More descriptive Version:

=================
*   I have two virtual desktops (A and B) hypothetically now, as they don't work for me.

*   I use (A) for my work. It has icons on it for Word, Excel, Ad-hoc inhouse software, Visual Studio plus other work related icons.

*   I use (B) for my hobby of writing music. It would have (I say would have because this currently cannot be done) things like Renoise, Hybrid, Traction and much more.

*   When I use the virtual desktop (A), It does all the magic you already provide such as different desktop picture, open windows related to work applications stay where they were left(ish) etc .. I also have a whole bunch of icons for all of the virtual desktops (A) and (B) and not just for (A).

*   When I switch to desktop (B) I get the current "magic" features you already provide, but unfortunately I also get all of the icons for both (A) and (B) and not just for (B).

* How this came about, and how to save the planet! Hahaha :D

I actually have four virtual desktops (or at least I used to, but gave up on them in the end).

The reason I used four virtual desktops was to enable me to remove three of the four monitors from my setup. Less energy, lower bills, Greta Thunberg won't shout at me etc ..

I'm still running on one display, covered in four screens worth of icons! I need a Sat-Nav to find my way around it! Hahaha :D

Thanks again for checking in with me. I wasn't expecting a reply to be honest, as most companies just ignore my messages. I will remove Linux from my laptop immediately. Haha :D

Rob :)

best response confirmed by Robbie__ (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Thank you for detail description.
In this case, it is better to file a Suggestion in the Feedback Hub app, explain current situation and how you want to change it. One good feature in the Feedback Hub app is that other could upvote your idea and Windows engineers will read all suggestions and feedbacks (even if they don't directly response to it).
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I will be sure to put it onto the Feedback Hub.
Thanks Again,
Rob
Welcome, glad it was helpful.
I got totally excited when I saw Win 11 with this option, thought for sure would be able to create one desktop with the apps I use for multimedia, and one desktop with those apps I use for course development. I am so disappointed!! What is the use of multiple backgrounds (bah humbug)

@Quita_75 I agree 100%. It makes no sense to me that you cannot do this. It also makes the multiple desktops pretty useless to me. Maybe Microsoft will realise that if you have 3 desktops setup, you want them to be three desktops. It works if you have multiple screens, so they could just wing it and tell Windows each desktop is a screen! Haha (Bah humbug indeed!)

@Robbie__ 

Ressuscitate DEXTOP

As far as virtual desktops are concerned most of what has been done (W10/W11) amounts to nothing.

All our purposes would be met by integrating the philosophy and/or the concept behind the Legacy program DEXTOP.

Though Dextop itself, might have been improved what prevents Microsoft from buying  it and integrate it into windows?

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Robbie__ (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Thank you for detail description.
In this case, it is better to file a Suggestion in the Feedback Hub app, explain current situation and how you want to change it. One good feature in the Feedback Hub app is that other could upvote your idea and Windows engineers will read all suggestions and feedbacks (even if they don't directly response to it).

View solution in original post